0.38 | Keys Are Gone With The Tides

Start from the beginning

"Um...Ruby, I know it's a hard choice. But you can't have the best of both worlds; it's a rule." Sarah's voice was firm which helped Ruby to make up her mind; it was either Joseph or Mrs. Warner. Now she had to decide then and there if she wanted to end it here or carry on forward.

"Katherine Warner cares for me as if I was born out of her own womb. She has never questioned my identity or tried digging for more information about my past, where have I been all this time, nothing. She blindly trusts me. She trusts a deceiver." Suddenly, Ruby burst into tears at the dilemma gnawing the ability to be conclusive. "She's crazy, fucking overprotective about me."

"Ruby, stop crying. It's none of your fault─"

"It's my fault, Sarah. It has been my fault from the very beginning. I was immature and never thought about how it felt to hurt someone's sentiments. For God's sake! She's old. I can't do this to her. My moral values have not died as yet." She cupped her knee while endeavoring to get up. She paced toward the water with fervor and tossed the bunch of keys in it.

The keys were gone. The end of a minute part of all problems.

Leaping to her feet, Sarah ran after her. "Ruby! What the hell did you just do? How are you going to answer both of them? How would you face Joseph, I'm trembling just by the thought of it?"

"Even if it calls a third world war. I'll confront it by myself," she stated rigidly and whipped her head as she saw two dark figures inching closer to them from a distance slowly.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Her heart weighed more than her body's. Not because she was running with a turtle-like speed, but, because she had to inform Joseph that she had consigned the keys to the beach.

Only she knew how she had spent last night paraphrasing her repudiation in the least explosive form; it jangled her nerves. The sun smiled at her. Ruby cowered down to tighten her shoelaces.

Shortly, she ingressed through the foyer and as Joseph's husky voice drifted into her ears, she followed it. Joseph progressed toward her after handing over the file to the man he was talking to. "Do run this idea by the vice president of J. S corporations before the confirmation and email the details to Mrs Arabella asked soon as possible."

Ruby couldn't muster up the courage to look into his jet-black eyes. A lump rose in her throat as his breathing rate quickened. The sound was loud enough to bore holes in her eardrums. She was afraid that he had actually seen her throwing the keys. She began, "Joseph...I have something impor..."

"What time is it now?" He asked, crossing his arms. The stern look on his face added more to her fear.

"I-It is..." her voice trailed off as she caught a glimpse of Mrs Warner standing behind Joseph. She was within earshot range, so that meant, every word uttered by Joseph would automatically be heard by Mrs. Warner. And if accidentally spilled the beans on their plan...

A rill of sweat ran down her forehead.

Joseph pursed his lips, checking the time on his wristwatch. He nodded his head full of attitude. "It's eight twenty-five. Normal people usually have their breakfast at this time and prepare to go to work, which in your case can be an exception. And don't go out jogging forcefully."

"Ah...I'll remember that."

"And what have I taught you, huh?" His eyebrows knitted and he held his palm up. "It is essential to protect oneself from the attacks of germs, which is why one should always take a bath with warm water after doing any physical activity."

"Okay, then I shall get going. Good morning Mrs. Warner." She scurried away quickly, offering a smile that was returned equally by Mrs Warner.

Joseph whirled around with a slightly surprised expression. Before he could cover himself up, she filled in.