Shikamaru x Reader- Until Then

"Hey guys, welcome back, how was the mission?" You asked, approaching the booth of your regulars, your notepad was in one hand which was at your side as you knew the squad to be quite talkative about their missions.

"Oh! It was the best! A nice easy escort mission, though there were some bandits who came along but we handled them, right Shikamaru?"
"What? Yeah, of course we did. Honestly the client was paranoid and ramped up the threat much more than it actually was, a squad of genin could've taken care of it just as well as we did. It was more troublesome than anything." Shikamaru complained, rubbing the back of his neck. You smiled at the lazy ninja.

"Of course it was, maybe you're so strong Shikamaru that every mission seems easy to you. What about you two? Mr. Asuma, Ino?"
"Eh, no mission's boring with these three, that's for sure."
"Yeah, I kinda have to agree with Shikamaru about the client being paranoid. Dunno why he was like that but he was," Ino shrugged.

"So uh, (Y/N), how was your day today?" Shikamaru asked, making you brighten.

"Actually pretty good, so far I haven't had any difficult customers today, though I don't want to jinx it."

"What do you mean by difficult customers?" Shikamaru asked you.
"Oh you know, the usual customers you encounter in retail and food service. I've gotten use to them by now though. But I'm sure you guys didn't come here to just chat with me. The usual order?" You asked as you made your notepad visible, clicking the pen so you could use it to take their food orders, once you got them down you smiled, promising that the food should be out soon before leaving out of earshot as Ino squealed and turned to Shikamaru.

"You like her!"

"What? You're seeing things Ino." Shikamaru muttered, Ino shook her head.
"Not at all! You like her!"

"Yeah? And what proof do you have?" Shikamaru asked.
"Well, you asked her how her day was. And you never engage in small talk. Ever. In fact, you said you find small talk troublesome." Ino smirked, knowing that she was right. Asuma chuckled as he looked between the closest thing Shikamaru has to an embarrassed face to Ino's definitely smug look.

I think I'll leave these two to sort it out...

"I...I was just being polite, she is our waitress..." Shikamaru muttered, rubbing the back of his neck.

"You? Polite? Since when?" Ino scoffed at Shikamaru's excuses, "don't you usually not care about what other people think?"

"Why is it so hard for you to imagine that I can be nice to random people just to be nice?" Shikamaru asked.

"Because you were staring at her with the softest expression I've ever seen from you and you looked embarrassed when Choji called you out of it and she almost caught you staring at her too."

"I was not staring, I was zoned out."
"Why're you so stubborn?"
"Are you sure I'm the stubborn one here?"

"Yes!"
"Wow, I've only been gone for barely a minute and Ino's already at Shikamaru's throat like always. What did he do this time Ino?" You asked teasingly, a smile on your face as you began to give them their usual drinks.

"He won't admit that I'm right about something for once!" Ino pouted, crossing her arms and turning away from Shikamaru, who groaned and facepalmed at his squadmate's behavior. You smiled at the two.
"I don't know how you handle them Mr. Asuma." You shook your head, making Asuma chuckle.
"Sometimes I don't even know how I do it (Y/N)."
"Well, I need to tend to a few other tables but then I'll check on your usual order. I'll stop by and let you know how long it takes once I find out."
"Sure thing. No rush." Asuma reassured you as you began to leave.
"(Y/N) wait, just out of curiosity, do you have a boyfriend?" You halfway turned, trying to glance at Shikamaru without it seeming obvious.