Shikamaru x Reader [Drabble]

"I think we should break up"

Shikamaru sighed, it was a nice sunny day, the kind you liked to enjoy. He held a cardboard office box in his arms as he walked through the village. Taking the back roads to get to your house where there was less foot traffic. He reflected on the events that transpired not even an hour ago.

"What? Why?"
"You're so emotionless with me all the time, I can't tell when you actually want to be with me or you're annoyed or if you even care about me anymore. I can't take doing that every time I see you, it's too much emotional strain for me, if I wanna become a ninja I can't keep doing this to myself. I'm sorry Shikamaru, but...I'm breaking it off." Shikamaru was so speechless that he couldn't process what you said until it was too late.
"(Y/N)! Wait!" You stopped for a moment before running, Shikamaru tried to chase you but you were always the faster one

When he got to your house he prayed that your Dad wasn't home as he knocked on the door.

"Shikamaru, there you are! I was wondering what happened to you, (Y/N) just ran in crying do you know what's going on with her?"
"Uh yeah...sorta...where is she?"

"In her room, be careful, you know how she can be when she's upset"
"Thank you Miss (L/N) but I know firsthand" Shikamaru smiled slightly before going up the stairs and walking to your doorway. He stopped and he felt his heart break, hearing your sobs through the door killed him inside. He lightly knocked on the door and he heard you curse as you probably wiped your eyes.
"Who is it?" You called, tryng to keep your voice steady.
"It's uh...it's me...look I just want to give you some stuff then I'll leave. Promise." Shikamaru spoke nonchalantly. He heard you shuffle before you opened the door and let him in once you saw how big the box was. Grunting, Shikamaru put the box on the bed considering that it was so heavy.
"What's all of this?"
"Open it up and take a look" Shikamaru left your room, leaving you with the box, you turned on your light and hesitantly opened the lid. Your eyes widening immensely, you reached in and found every mandatory valentine's day card with the candy still packaged (it's probably expired though), every pencil he ever asked from you in class, your confession letter to him, a book of perfectly preserved flowers that you gave him over your time together, each one had a date and the scenario of where and when you gave him the flowers.

March 20th, (Y/N) gave me a daffodil today, she thought I could use the cheering up, but she's enough to cheer me up on my worst of days. You closed the book as your eyes began tearing up.

H...he really does care

"Mom! Where's Shikamaru?!"
"He just left honey- goodbye I guess" your Mom sighed as you practically ran out the door. You looked down both sides of the street, seeing the hunched form of Shikamaru. You ran towards him and hugged him from behind.

"Shiki...y...you actually do care" you mumble.

"Of course I do doofus, do I gotta spell it out for ya every time I see ya?" He grumbled, his hands went over yours.

"Well...I mean you could make a little bit of an effort, like saying stuff like 'glad to see ya' to let me know I'm wanted."
"Doofus, you're always wanted, even when I'm annoyed so don't do anymore of this emotional analysis crap on me ok?" His hands tightened around yours.
"O...ok"
"We still have a few hours left of sunlight and I suppose I should take you on another first date since we broke up for about an hour. How about we go to that outdoor cafe you like? Then...perhaps we could see where the day takes us..." you smiled and hugged the boy you liked a little tigher.
"Yeah...I would like that Shika..."

"You know you're going to have to let go of me if you want to go to that cafe"
"Hehe, sorry!" You apologized as you jumped next to him. You merely walked a few feet when you felt his warm hand wrap around yours.

"S...shika!"
"What? I can't hold my girlfriend's hand anymore?"
"No...it was just really...unexpected...that's all"
"If memory serves me right, you said that you liked unexpected. What? You don't want me to be unexpected?"
"N...no....of course not..." you mutter shyly at the smug look Shikamaru was giving you, trying to avert your eyes since he bent down so he was more at your height.

"Then I see no problem, besides" he kissed your cheek as you turned red again.

"I like it when your cheeks get super red, you look like a cute little tomato" he smirked at you as your blush only worsened, your grip on his hand became white-knuckled as you both walked to the outdoor cafe together.