Naruto x Reader- Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day, the day of love and to give special extra attention to your significant other. You thought the whole concept was stupid, you shouldn't have an excuse to celebrate your significant other. Maybe it was the bitter single in you or the fact that since everyone else had taken off for this stupid holiday Lady Tsunade sent you on like, 20 million petty D list missions, but you seriously hated Valentine's Day. Despite the day turning to night, there were still couples all over holding hands and making out without shame. You groaned as you stretched, at least you had one thing to look forward to. Eating ramen with your favorite person in this whole village, Naruto Uzumaki. But despite you practically doing this every day when you both weren't on a mission he did act kinda weird today...

One of your many missions was cleaning up a pond until it's water was clear and sparkling again.

"Stupid cans...this pond is just going to get dirty again anyway...honestly, people are disgusting..." you muttered as you picked out cans and put them into plastic bags.

"Hey! (Y/N)!" Naruto called, running over to you, you looked up from your work, smiling when you saw Naruto.

"Hey Naruto, what's up?"
"Oh uh...I was just wondering if we were still going to meet up at Ichiraku's tonight..." Naruto asked, rubbing his hand behind his neck.

"Duh, it's not like I have plans tonight, I'm still single y'know."
"Oh, right, I was just making sure. Do you want some help with that pond though?"
"Nah, I'm good, but I'll see ya tonight, yeah?"

"Yeah! See ya then!" Naruto grinned before turning around and running off.

Usually now you would just expect each other to be there for Ichiraku and if you weren't then you would usually be able to tell each other when you were on a mission. Unlike your fellow ninja you didn't really know Naruto that well when you were first starting out as ninja. Not because you didn't like him, but because you never found a good time to talk to him, but when he came back from his training with Jiraya you got to know each other better through Sakura. You were pretty sure him inviting you to Ichiraku to get to know you was a one-time thing, but you ended up going there so often for dinner that you ended up meeting each other there every night. And as you ate together you learned a lot about each other and he became easily your favorite person in Konoha. You moved some hair out of your face when you saw Ichiraku coming into sight.

"Hey" you brushed away the cloth and entered the small shop, before immediately dying inside. Even Ichiraku was covered from wall to wall with pink and white hearts with red candles on the tiny little counter above the actual counter where you ate.

"Hey (Y/N)!" Naruto grinned, you groaned and slumped onto the table.

"Wow, some greeting" Naruto commented you propped yourself up with your palm.
"Sorry, I just want this stupid holiday to be over already, I thought I wouldn't have to deal with it in Ichiraku but here I am." You gestured to the pink and the candles that felt like were surrounding you.

"Really? Why do you hate Valentine's Day so much?" Naruto asked.
"I'll have the usual" you told Teuchi, not even having to look at the menu before turning to Naruto, thank god the both of you managed to stop Ayame's takeover of the menu and instead have a compromise of dipping noodles and regular ramen on the menu.

"Why wouldn't I hate it? Even if I was in a relationship Valentine's Day shouldn't be an excuse to show affection to your partner or do something special for them, that and essentially every ninja in Konoha takes the day off, and Lady Tsunade allows it! So all the singles like me are not only punished with that." You gestured to a couple on the other side of the street, making out ferverently against the wall of the building, "but we also have to run around doing genin-level jobs. I just want this day to be over, y'know?"

"O...oh uh, yeah, I guess..."
"Hm? What's wrong? Did Sakura turn you down?"
"Huh? What? No, I didn't ask her to be my Valentine. Why do you ask?"
"I thought for sure you would, even if we didn't talk a lot when we were kids it was obvious you had a huge crush on her."
"Nah, I didn't ask her to be my valentine, besides I have a feeling even if I did she would just bonk me over the head anyway." Naruto answered as he scratched his cheek, you smiled and shook your head.

"You're probably right."
"You know (Y/N), as someone who's a little older and wiser I think that Valentine's Day is a wonderful day, I do agree on your view of showing affection to your partner every day I'd say that Valentine's Day makes it extra special."

"Yeah (Y/N), even if you're single on Valentine's Day anything can happen, who knows? Maybe the guy of your dreams might ask you out."
"Good one Ayame, but I don't think anyone's interested in me."
"Are you sure about that? You still have your whole life ahead of you."
"Yeah, I guess that's true..." you sighed as you rubbed the back of your head.

"So, Naruto, anything interesting happen to you today?"
"Nah not really, with all the stuff I've been doing lately Grandma Tsunade gave me the day off, pretty cool huh?"

"Huh, interesting, did you do anything good on your day off?"
"Training, of course!" Naruto grinned, making you smile.

"Of course, when are you not training?"
"Yeah, I guess that's true," Naruto still kept that grin on his face as he rubbed the back of his neck.
-Timeskip-

In unison, you and Naruto drained your bowls of the last of the broth.
"Man that's good." You both said before grinning to each other, Naruto was the first to look away.

"Uhh...(Y/N)...I know you don't like the holiday and all but...I um...I got this for you..." Naruto slid something over to you, catching your attention.
"Hm?" You picked up the tiny card.

'Will you be my Valentine?' you turned it around and saw 'To: (Y/N) From: Naruto.' Between the card was a wrapped piece of your favorite chocolate.
"Are you serious?"

"Y...yeah...no better day than Valentine's Day to confess, right?" Naruto asked nervously, you didn't even think Naruto would like you in that way, much less confess to you.

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" You jumped off your stool to hug Naruto, who got up and hugged back.

"You know, you were making me worried that you would say no with all that 'I hate Valentine's Day' talk." Naruto told you, hugging you a little tighter.

"Well I didn't think anyone loved me, so I was being a little bit of a bitter single..." 

"What about now?" 

"Take me on a real date and maybe we'll see" you smiled as Naruto furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. 

"Ichiraku doesn't count?" 

Haha! I actually prepped for Valentine's Day! Aren't I good now or what?! I know this wasn't particularly long but it was at least cute, right? Anyway, Happy Valentine's Day to everyone in a happy relationship and Happy Bitter Day to everyone who's single, but that's all I've gotta say for now so this is Ftfanx777 over and out (^-^)/