Chapter 1; Long Live The Queen

The wind howled sadly and the snow fell slowly, it's delicate snow flakes balancing gracefully on my shoulder, as my shoes sunk into the white layer on the ground.
I looked up at the lonely volcano that stood proudly before me, it's peak bursting with lava, but yet it never escaped, only a small amount dripped sluggishly down the side of the mountain.
I sighed with nervousness, turning to the green snake dragon who flew onto my shoulder- his back legs on my left shoulder and his front legs on my right.
"What do you think Zane? Think they'll except me?" I asked Zane and he shrugged.
"I don't think it really matters." Zane replied and my gaze turned a mixture of curiosity and amusement at the fact that Zane always seemed to be confident about everything. Or maybe he just pretends to be.

"Why is that?" I asked as Axel, Cranky and Nevis caught up to us. I heard Cranky make his usual bored caw sound as he flew towards me from the back, flapping his wings when he reached above my head, then landing painfully onto my head.
"Ouch! Just because Zane took my shoulder doesn't mean you can use my head as a nest now!" I growled at the pitch black crow, who nestled comfortably in my blonde hair.
I rolled my eyes and turned my head back to the green dragon on my shoulder.
"So?" I asked so he could answer my previous question.
"Well, you're the Queen aren't you, anyone who doesn't except you will be considered a traitor and an outcast." Zane said and I pursed my lips as I thought about how important that sentence made me sound.
"What if nobody excepts me, who will cast them out?" I asked, waiting for Zane to give me another confident and know-it-all answer, but said shrugged,
"Well then, you'd be one unlucky Queen. Perhaps apologise to mother-nature and contemplate what you done wrong in life, that's always a good solution when you've lost all hope." Zane replied and my eyes became slits as I raised an eyebrow at the dragon. "Gee, thanks for the legendary advice, I'll keep that in mind." I said, my voice so thick with sarcasm, even a newborn bird would know my sentence was sarcastic.
"You should." Zane said without the slightest hint of sarcasm in his voice. I glared at him, but as he stared off into space, pretending he couldn't see me glaring daggers into the side of his face, I decided to ignore him and precede into the volcano.

As I walked into the large hole in the volcano, that I assumed was supposed to be an entry, I was surprised to see what was on the inside. It was bright inside- like there was a huge fire lighting up the whole mountain- as large lines of lava dripped down the sides of the inside of the volcano. Dragons were walking around as if it were a busy market, and they flew gracefully in the air, making me look up in awe. The entire volcano was as if it had been hollowed out, with only a few spikes of rock hanging from the walls or growing from the ground from where lava had dripped.
The room curved in until it got to the point in the middle of the volcano, which I estimated was about 100 metres high.

"Wow...this place is magnificent!" Axel said as he walked beside me.
"It's in our nature, we can't help ourselves Cat Boy." Zane said smugly. He knew Axel's name by now, as Axel had continuesly told it to him on the trip here, but Zane insisted he wanted to call him 'Cat Boy' as he didn't know him on a personal level yet.

I snapped out of my thoughts as I heard a dragon growl curiously from a few metres away, catching my attention. I turned my attention to the dragons that crowded around us, mostly curiously, but many angrily, but thankfully they all kept their distance. They reminded me of a cat who is both curious and angry when another cat joins the household, and keeps its distance until it is sure what it's dealing with. I'd say the only reason I wasn't already being prepared as their lunch was because Zane and Nevis were with me.
I then heard a loud and demanding roar, making everyone's heads- including the dragon's- snap towards the source of the sound. The dragons cleared a path as a dark greenish grey dragon. He was so close to the colour of the rocks that I was sure he could camouflage with the walls if he stood close enough. He had long horns that curled slightly at the top and a fin-like wing on his cheeks. The dark green dragon walked up to me, but keeping a metres distance still.
"Zane, why have you brought humans here?" the dragon said with slighr distaste in his tone. I was surprised when he spoke, I thought Zane was the only talking dragon.

"General Theaven, this woman, standing before you, is the woman you sent me to get. Lian, Queen of the dragons." Zane said to the dark green dragon. I felt incredibly awkward when gasps exploded from the dragons large mouths, followed by murmuring then more gasps.
The dark green dragon, who Zane called General Theaven, had a look of surprise.
"Does she have..?" He started unsure.
Zane turned his head to me then smiled.
"Ready to prove to the dragon world who you really are?" Zane asked and it took me a few seconds to realise what he meant. They wanted me to show that I had the Monile.
I stuck my hand into the pocket of my dress, all eyes watching me. I fished out the jewel I was after and held my arm up in the air above me, the Monile in my hand for everyone to see.
More gasps were heard, but much louder this time, then the 'General' spoke.
"After thousands of years, the dragon Queen has come, and with her is the Queens jewel, the Monile!" he roared to the dragons and all the dragons roared in excitement.
"Long live the Queen!" the General roared, then roared something I didn't understand, then the other dragons repeated after him, some I could understand, but most were just roars that I guessed meant the same thing.

I felt my cheeks start to turn pink with embarrassment but I desperately tried to stop them. Dumb cheeks never listen!
Zane turned his head back to me and grinned. "You done it Lian. Long live the Queen"

April Bluebird/BlueWhiskers1.
Dragon Age 2; The Queens Jewel.
Chapter 1; Long Live The Queen.
7/Jun/2020.
1136 words.