Chapter 21; Walking In The Shadows

This chapter is dedicated to JoelNigga
my old friend.

This may very well be one of THE LAST chapters so make sure u guys remember to keep it in ur reading library even after you finish the book because there will be info on the sequal, epilogue, authors notes and more!
Also, do u ever want someone to notice ur book? Well all you need to do is share this book with someone, take a screenshot, put it on Wattpad and tag me. If you do I will check out ur book, comment my feedback, vote and share it will a bunch of people. But plz do remember to tag me! Thank u ❤️
~

The wind howled softly and the torches that hung from every house cast shadows across the snow. I carefully wrapped my hand around the door knob, feeling the hold stone on my hand. All the houses in the village were a combination of small amounts of wood and snow but mostly hay, but the chiefs house was mostly wood and stone. I turned the door knob and pushed it open, wincing as the hinges creeked ever so slightly. I opened the door only far enough for me to suck in my stomach and slip through. My closed off shoes hit the wooden floor as I stepped in. I looked around in awe. Paintings with frames made of gold, fancy golden plates, cups and weapons hung from the walls along with large jewels and rare looking stones. I couldn't believe it. I knew the wealthier villagers had small amounts of gold, but I though most of it went to trading! That's what the chief told us anyways. He probably secretly made a deal with the miners not to tell anyone and they got to keep a share of the gold. We traded during early summer and spring because the traders had to cross a large lake to get to the other villages, and during autumn, winter and even sometimes late summer it was frozen. So we apparently always saved all the gold for the trading seasons.

I shook my head in discust, then I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and move on with the mission. I scanned the room, looking for where the Monile could be kept. There was a long table, almost like a meeting table on the right, and the left was lined with fancy weapons. I began to walk forward as I noticed two doors. I placed each foot carefully so I didn't wake up whoever was in the house. As I reached the two doors I quickly decided to take the one on the right, which had a piece of gold inside the wood of the door. It was above my head but I could see something was carved into it. I stood on my toes so I could see it more clearly, reading the word 'Bella'. I rolled my eyes at how spoiled she was, she needed her name written in gold on her bedroom door. I now looked over to the door on the left and read 'Your Chief'. Again, I rolled my eyes. I now grabbed the handle of the door in the left and carefully turned it, opening it slowly. My eyes darted around the room until finally I spotted the Chief. He slept in a double bed, with fluffy sheets and a silk pillow. He snored loudly, his arms and legs sprawled out in awkward positions, his covers half off his bed. It reminded me of when I got in bed after a long day.
I noticed large draws, a huge chest and behind his bed was a painting. The painting was of a very slim man with sleek black hair, who was wearing red armor, outlined with gold. In the background was what appeared to be the aftermath of a bloody war. Bodies lined the dirty ground, not a tree in sight, not one person stood alive beside the man at the front and a beautiful girl on the left of the photo. She had blonde curly hair that reached just below her ears, and she wore a feminine version of the man's armor. She had a sword in her right hand, covered in blood. They both had white skin, but it was much more taned than mine. They both had scared faces but their skin was still young and smooth. The man had dark green eyes while the woman had a unique yellow eyes. She also worse an interesting tiara on her head, made of gold with a red jewel at the front. I couldn't help but stare at the drawing. There was a woman in the battle feild, and she certainly looked like she knew what she was doing.
My eyes flicked back to the man now. He, like the woman, looked like he was in his mid twenties or early thirties. But I recognised the man from somewhere.
It only took a seconds thought before I remembered seeing his face in all the paintings. He was Jarrath I, someone I used to look up to growing up. He was a known hero and war champion to the Feirce village. But I didn't know what was true anymore. If what Zane said was true, Jarrath II was either a female, or had nothing to do with the legend of the Monile. And if that was correct, Jarrath I or II may not have even existed. There were small stories, myths and legends around Jarrath I and the battles he fought, but everybody knew they were most likely just stories, and nobody really knew much of the truth about Jarrath I.
I looked closer that the golden frame of the picture and saw some writing carved into it. It read
Cheif Jarrath I and Princess Panemorfi.
29AJ The Battle For The Rule Of The Feirce Village.
I squinted to read the tiny writing on the opposite corner of the frame, further away from me. Finally, I could make it out.
Cheif Jarrath V Chieftress Fonia.
This made me frown in confusion. Who was Fonia and who was Panemorfi? And why would Jarrath fight for the village that was apparently always his. But I did understand one thing, this took place when Jarrath I was 29. The date that the Feirce villagers and many villages surrounding it go by, starts from the birth of Jarrath I. So for short it is AJB, or After Jarrath's Birth, and after time it was shortened even further to AJ or After Jarrath.

I decided to snap out of my thoughts before the cheif awoke, and I quietly made my way to the draws. I carefully opened each one and looked inside, but none of them carried anything but clothes, weapon cases and a very fancy looking key. I grinned as I tried to fit it inside the keyhole of the large chest and it went in and turned with ease. Now I quietly opened the heavy lid with great effort. I looked inside and grinned as I noticed everything in there was much more valuable looking than anything else in room. There was a red hard covered book with gold outlines and a gold chain and lock around it. It said in very small gold ink at the top of the cover, Jarrath's Diary. And as much as I was tempted to open it, I quickly pushed away the thought as the chief began to shuffle around as he slept. I held my breath until he stopped, then I carefully moved the objects aside, trying to find the Monile. I saw a smaller version of the picture behind the chiefs bed, except it was unframed. That was what people often done, they'd have a large picture for display and a hand sized one to carry around. The photo was carried with age but was still well taken care of. And the writing that had been on the frame of the photo was now written in gold ink on the bottom of the photo. Don't do it Lian, don't do it! I thought as I stared at the old painting. I have to do it!
I quickly grabbed the painting and shoved it into my dress pocket.
I dug through the remaining things, all there was was a lot of keys, old drawings and small weapons. My heart beating rapidly as I could see no trace of the Monile. As I reached the bottom of the chest I felt the pressure in my chest built up. Why isn't it here?! I checked everything! But just as the thought crossed my mind, my eyes caught little hole in the front of the chest. A key hole. I smiled as I noticed the tiny draw in the chest. I grabbed the keys I had seen earlier, sticking each one in the draw until finally the key turned. I breathed out trying to calm my heartbeat as I slowly and carefully opened the little draw. And you wouldn't believe me if I told you what I saw. It was the Monile. My mission was over. I touched the purple jewel carefully, it was gold and slippery as if it were polished every day. But as I was about to wrap my hand around the silver chain that was connected to it I heard a terrifying sound behind me. I don't think I had ever been more scared than that moment, when I heard the cheif growl from behind me.
"What are you doing in here you little snake!"

April Bluebird/BlueWhiskers1.
Dragon Age.
Chapter 21; Walking In The Shadows
3/Mar/2020.
6.82K reads.
1653 words.

(Good game to play~ Gacha Life
Good movie~ Spies In Disguise
Good book~ Guardians Of The Gahool
Good Author~
Good Wattpad book~ In The Mean Time (starversionist)
Good Wattpad author~ Imaan00
Good YT channel~ Jack And Gab)