Chapter 4: Axel

BeaCurious
YoungBloodC
921Kathy
CasuallyGeneric
Jararocks101
h2346h
AjaxAth
agrolos
SnowslashChaos
natleerose
SarahLeeCrystal
amritaiden10
glimmershepard
EshaBasu
Photo above by KittyCatzy

Warm blood dripped down my numbed leg, my heart beat furiously, my rib cage hurting from the pressure. My forehead dripped with sweat, and my mouth was completely dry.

Just... A bit... Further! I told myself, pushing on. Maybe I should try another shot? I thought. I wasn't sure if my muscles could take another shot, but I had to try. As I often tell myself, try or die.

Pulling another arrow from my case, I knocked it, pulled it back. OK, jump, spin, shoot, it's only three steps, I told myself.
I tried taking a deep breath, but from how much I was puffing, I couldn't take a deeper breath than I already was.
So I decided to go without it.
Ready.
Set.
Shoot!

My knees bent as I prepared for my jump, my muscles threatening to collapse. As my knees opened, pushing me up, my left calf, the one that had been cut by the saber, buckled, making my jump short and hopeless.
I screeched as I tumbled to the forest ground.

I noticed it didn't snow as much when you get deeper into the forest. Where I had fallen, barely had a dot of snow.
Most of the snow was gathered around the roots of the trees, or in the higher leaves. The center of the forest had thick, tall trees, making it almost impossible for snow to make it down.

So as I landed, I didn't land on a soft pillow of snow, I landed on dead leaves, sharp and dirty. The three sabers came running towards me, but before I could pull myself to my feet, the nearest one pounced. Its heavy front paws landed on my shoulders, and its hind paws landed on the forest floor. I stared up at the sabers large teeth as it roared in my face. How rude.

I made a hissing sound at it, and it scrunched up its face, growling.
Opening its jaws wide it wrapped its saber teeth round my neck, ready to kill.
I tried reaching my dagger, but I couldn't move my arms, as the saber held them down from the shoulder.

I screamed angrily shaking my head helplessly. The saber struggled to get a grip on my neck, its fur brushing my legs as it moved. Wait! An idea popped into my mind. I'm not going down so easily, I thought determined. Lifting up my good leg, I kneed the saber hard in its gut.
It roared, deciding to finish me, it bit down at my neck for a second or two, already drawing blood. My vision began to blur and tear, as adrenaline pulsed through me. I struggled wildly to land another knee on the saber, but it was smarter than that, it stood with one hind leg on my leg, making me unable to lift it. Unable to protect myself. Unable to help myself.

As my own blood dripped down my neck, all I felt was numbness, all I saw was a blurry brown saber on me, all I smelt was the unbearable smell of wet animal fur, all I heard was my own heart beat.

But suddenly, I saw something black swoop in front of me, pushing the saber off of me. I was hit with realization. It was a person. Before I could think, I sat up and wiped my tears with my dress, and fixed my dress. I stood up and walked up to the large figure now.
He wore black leather clothes, closed shoes, and had a sword in his hand.
His hair was black and brushed back, his shoulders were broad and his muscles looked like they were used often. He definitely wasn't from my tribe.