Chapter 24; I Won't Leave You

Photo above by KittyCatzy

Dedicated to my pets who inspired me to write books. Comment if you love animals, and what your lovable companion is.

Blood and tears stained my skin, and the air smelt of burning trees. Shouts and screams were heard from all around. I let go of my parents hands that I had been holding, their skin beginning to go cold. I roughly wiped my sleeve across my eyes, rubbing away the the dried trears. I stood up, my face becoming serious. I look one last look at the bodies of my parents. I wish I could've buried them, but now was not the time. It had been only a few minutes since Nevis lit the village aflame, so only a few houses and trees were on fire, but the fire spread quickly, melting the snow that covered the villages trees and houses, and burning the wood beneath. The problem was, most houses were made of wood, but there was a decend amount made of hay. I began walking into all the commotion, my feet sliding through the half melted snow.

I heard something flapping above me, like someone flapping an over sized blanket. My hair and dress blew in the strong wind. I turned to see Nevis, with Zane on his back, landing on the melting snow.
"Lian! I'm sorry I couldn't get to you in time. After the village gathered I couldn't find you in the crowd." Zane said apologetically. "That doesn't matter now, I just need you two to-" I was inturupted as a group of large things burst through the trees.

Nevis turned quickly, the inside of his mouth lighting up an orangy colour as he prepared to blowtorch the group of Sabres.
The Sabres all snarled and growled as they prepared to launch at the dragon.
"Wait!" I called quickly. Nevis closed his mouth hesitantly, making steam blow out from his nose.
Axel and the Sabres lowered their guard slightly. "Lian! There you are!" Axel called from the group of Sabres.
"Axel what are you doing here? I said not to follow me!" I yelled, although I was glad to have some extra help.
"I was watching your village from my tree house, and I knew something was wrong when I heard yelling and commotion, so I had to come see if you were okay. Good thing I did." Axel said, looking around at the flaming village.
Suddenly, a man jumped out from the shadows, his sword in his left hand and a spear in his right. He pulled his arm back and thrust it forward towards the sabres, but Axel quickly stepped forward and, with his small battleaxe in both hands, he slammed the sharp blade of it against the middle of the flying spear, splitting it in half, making it drop harmlessly to the ground. A sabre, who I now recognised was Raz, launched himself at the attacker, mauling the man's face with his large teeth.
I couldn't help but be thankful to Axel, because if it won't for him I would've been mauled just like that.. Twice.

"Lian do you know this black headed fool?" Zane asked with a glare towards Axel.
"Uh yeah, we are friends. Axel this is Zane and Nevis. Please work with each other, I will explain everything later. But now isn't the time, I need you all to cover me!"
I now turned and ran to my house, I had things there I needed, I just hoped the fire wouldn't reach my house before I got there. I ran through the slush-like snow, the water quickly reaching my feet through my closed shoes. I looked around as I ran, about a quarter of the village and all the trees around them were on fire. My adrenaline made everything seem to be going in slow motion, but through the confusion I saw a little girl, maybe ten years old, sitting beside her crumbled and burning house, her knees at her chest and her head leaning on her knees. I could see her shaking with sobs. Why didn't she move? Why wasn't she running? Then I saw it, a hand sticking out of the half crumbled house, twitching with the little bit of life it had left.

I slowed down now, watching the young girl. I couldn't stop, I might not reach my house in time. No, this girls parents could be dead, and it was my fault. I owed her.
I ran towards the girl, quickly grabbing her from under her arms, and throwing her over my shoulder. I had to admit, she was heavier than I expected. I began running towards the trees that won't burnt yet, I dropped the girl there but she began to run right back. "No! Mummy! Daddy!" she screamed. But u quickly grabbed her, sitting her down in the snow. "Stay here, I'll get your parents." I told her as I looked into her eyes. So brave. She was willing to stick with her parents even if that meant risking her life. I know I would do the same for mine.

The girl looked back into my eyes, finding comfort there. I quickly ran back to the girls burnt down house. I grabbed the wooden plank that was on top of the parents hand. Up close now I could see it was large and muscular, it must've been her father. They must've ran back to grab things from their houses, but the house fell apart while they were inside. I groaned loudly as I pushed the wooden plank up. Once it was an inch of the man's hand, her quickly pulled it in. He was alive. I threw the wooden plank to the side, and now I could see that the sides of the house were crumbled, but the inside still had a little pocket in it, where a man with a limp hand, and a woman his age stood. They looked at me, they seemed surprised, as if they had already excepted that they'd die. "quick!" I yelled to them, putting out my hand. The man nudged the woman forward, and she quickly ran to the opening where the wooden plank had been. It wasn't big, but she'd fit, I was sure if the man would though. The woman lay on her stomach and grabbed my hand, standing up, I pulled her out with great effort.
"Thank you!" she said in a shake voice.
"Your daughter is there!" I said, pointing to the girl who watched hopefully.
I turned now to see the man struggling to squeeze out. There was no way he'd fit. I now tried to pull out the next plank, but it wouldn't lift. The woman now grabbed the plank too. "On three." she said and I nodded. "One, two, three!" we both groaned with the effort, but finally we lifted it enough for the man to squeeze through.
He stood up and the woman grabbed his hand, leading him to their daughter.
I quickly followed then knelt down to the terrified girl. I leaned my hand on her small shoulder. "Take care of your parents." I whispered to her, then stood up.
"Get out of here, don't stop for anything." I said, and the parents nodded, the near death experience left them speechless.

I ran now towards my house, the fire had reached it, but I hoped it was in good enough condition for me to get what I needed. All my memories were in there, I couldn't leave them behind.

April Bluebird/BlueWhiskers1.
Dragon Age.
Chapter 24; I Won't Leave You
29/Mar/2020.
7.67K reads.
1302 words.

(Good game to play~ Tapas
Good movie~ Marvel
Good Wattpad book~ Come Back In Five Years (Star_Crow)
Good Wattpad author~ Spartan_Alaska
Good YT channel~ The Anxiety Couple)