The Legend

(Photo by AjaxAth)

"Legend has it, that the Chieftain of the village of Old, crafted something; Something that would show his importance, something that would be passed down for generations, something that every Chief would bear.

But the greedy eye of the dragons saw that which the great Chieftain had crafted. A necklace that every Chieftain would wear. The dragons destroyed the village, burning the houses to the ground, seeking the necklace they desired. But the Chieftains kept it safe from the dragons, but the dragons never stopped, they wanted that which belonged to the humans.

Generation after generation, they attacked their people, but never did the brave Chieftains back down, never did they surrender the precious item of their great Chieftain, Chief Jarrath the first."

"Why did the dragons want the necklace?" Lian asked her mother after she finished telling her five year old daughter the legend.

"Because they're just greedy animals, they just see a shiny golden necklace, and they want to take it." Her mother explained.

"Does the Chief still have it?" Lian asked. "Yes, sometimes on special events, he wears the necklace. But not always, because the dragons will find it that way." Her mother slipped on her daughter's sandals as her father entered the small hay house.

"Come on, you don't want to be late." Her mother said as she patted her daughter's shoulder.
"But I'm not hungry." Lian whined.
"You haven't eaten all day, Lian." Her mother reasoned. "I'm sick of having wild rabbits." Lian huffed, then her eyes widened with excitement.

"When I'm older, I'm going to go hunting, and I will bring back a mammoth!" Lian exclaimed.
Her parents' eyes widened with surprise. "No, no, Lian. Only men hunt, you will stay at home with me and wash the clothes, and sweep the floor." Her mother said.
Lian's excitement faded and she just looked up at her mother who was kneeling down to be closer to eye level with her little girl.

"Why?" Lian asked, genuinely confused. "Because men are big and strong, while women are softer and weaker." Her mother explained.
Lian shook her head.
"Not me! I will train, and I will catch a mammoth all on my own!" Lian exclaimed excitedly, jumping up and down. Her mother shook her head and smiled.

With a chuckle and a nudge from her father, Lian and her parents walked out of the hay house and through the thick snow, towards where the village gathered to feast on the wild rabbits the men had hunted.

"Eat your fill dear." Her mother said.
"These men don't know how to hunt, I could catch twice as much if I was older!" Lian exclaimed, and didn't notice the strange looks from the villagers, or the strange comments that a girl was speaking of hunting, and she thinks she could be better than a man? Nonsense.

/2019/
/@BlueWhiskers1 aka April Bluebird/
/Dragon Age: The Born Queen/
/Prologue; The Legend/
/491 words/

/2019//@BlueWhiskers1 aka April Bluebird//Dragon Age: The Born Queen//Prologue; The Legend//491 words/