Chapter 5: Just Another Day

Dedicated to
SnowslashChaos
For always being the first to comment.

Photo above by me.

The light shone brightly through the window, and the birds chirped happily. But one bird, sounded awfully close.
I yelped when I opened my eyes to see a black crow, with eyes as black as its feathers, staring down at me as it stood on my face.
I quickly sat up, the crow flying off me, squawking angrily.
"Cranky!" I growled.
"Don't sit over me like that!" I huffed and put my arm out.
"Come here." I said, waiting for Cranky to land on my arm.

It wouldn't be hard to teach him anything, since the birds around here are often trained a bit so they can stay tame when foods around.
Cranky stared down at my arm, before, finally, landing on my wrist.
I bent my elbow in so Cranky was in front of face.
"Good boy. Let's see if I got any treats for you." I spoke, grabbing my snake skin bag from under my bed.
I often snuck some food in there when we ate big meals.

I opened the bag, feeling the leather like scales on my skin.
This bag was made from the scales and skin of a snake, but not just any snake. This was the hide of the first prey I ever caught, when I was only eight. Beginners luck. But it was special to me anyways.

I opened up the unique grey scaled bag, the tips of every scale was slightly purple.
I fished out a tiny piece of rabbit meat, from the hand size that was in there. Cranky suddenly started squawking like mad.
"Hey boy, relax." I tried to calm the little crow.

Cranky stretched out his beak and pecked my hand that held the rabbit meat. I jerked back in sudden pain.
"Ouch! Bad Cranky!" I hissed, smacking his head with my index finger. Now it was Cranky's turn to jerk back in pain.
He squawked angrily to himself, but kept his beak low.
"Good boy." I said, slowly bringing the food to his beak, but again he tried reaching for it, but I pulled back my arm and he put his beak low again.

I slowly brought the prey to his beak once more, and he gently reached for the food, flying off my wrist and landing on the floor, pecking and eating the prey.

While he busied himself eating, I got ready for the morning. As I braided my hair, I thought back to last night, it felt like a dream, at some points a nightmare.
I chuckled at my own thoughts.

After my hair was done, I  didn't bother changing, even though I had an identical dress to the one I was wearing. I looked down now at my left leg. Dried blood covered it and it was swollen but numb.
My left arm was still in pain, but it couldn't compare with my leg.
As for my neck, it had some puncher marks, but nothing too severe.

I should probably see a healer today, I told myself.
I opened my door a crack to make sure my parents won't there. I couldn't imagine what they'd say if they saw me now.

I peeked round the room and didn't see any of them. They could've always still been sleeping.
I cringed as the door squeaked while I opened it. Finally, when it was opened enough for me to squeeze through, I did.

Tip toeing outside, I breathed a sigh of relief. "Is that you Sprout?" My fathers words hung in the air for a moment or two.
"Y-yeah?" I said, though it was more of a question.
My mother and father walked out of their room and towards me.

I panicked for a few moments, grabbing my hair and twirling it in my fingers, while using it to cover the cuts on my neck.
"Where're you going?" Mother asked sweetly. I couldn't lie to my parents, I just couldn't. I thought about saying I was just going for a walk, then really go for a walk and go to the healers later, but I guessed that was classified as lying.

"Um... To the..." Was all they heard before I started mumbling.
"The what?" Father urged.
"Um... The eh... The healers place?" I said.
My mother gasped. "What happened to you?" She asked, bounding towards me. "Um... Nothing serious, just like a little scrat-"
"What's that on your neck, Lian!?" My mother gasped.
I moved my hair to reveal the puncher marks made by the sabers teeth. "Just a few scratches, nothing to worry about Ma." I said feeling guilty.

"Who done this to you?" My father asked urgently. "Just a saber..." I tried to make it sound casual in hopes that they'd have a casual reaction, but I guess not.
"Saber!?" They both yelped.
"It isn't anything serious, it was just one saber that attacked me last night, but he was small so I killed him easily." I smiled, hoping they'd believe me. I hated lying to my parents, but I mean, it seemed if I didn't, they might've had a heart attack which I'd hate even more, so...

"Be carful next time! Oh and look at your leg Butterfly!" Mother gasped, pointing at the tried blood on my leg.
"It doesn't even hurt." I tried to say comfortingly. "You better not get into anymore trouble from now Sprout." My father warned.
"Yeah, yeah." I chuckled. I wondered if I'd be so protective over my kids.
Walking off towards the healers house, I laughed to myself.

If I ever have kids.

I pushed the thought aside. Who needs those little attention seeking demons anyways, I told myself.
I hadn't met very many children, there won't anymore than five in the village.
And all I had seen from those things, was that they loved to pull your hair and clothes, and ask you a million questions that didn't even make any sense, and never left you alone, and didn't stop talking, and always gave you ridiculous nicknames like Lianey or Mama, and... Well you know.. Little attention seeking Demons.

🐉

After I visited the healer and she gave me boring advice that I ignored most of, I skipped outside.
The sun was already setting.
I skipped towards the Heart Oak Tree and climbed to the tip top, watching the sun set.
A yawn escaped my mouth and left tired tears blurring my vision.
I stretched my arms and climbed down the tree, my sandals landing in the thick snow.
Why did I even wear these things? I asked myself. They're impossible to climb with.

An urgent thought popped into my mind. How am I gonna climb Axel's tree house in these?!
I huffed, skipping hurriedly back home and into my room, I threw off my sandals and slipped on my closed shoes.
I started towards the door when my gaze drifted towards my bed.
"Just five minutes." I whispered, jumping and landing in my bed.
Before long sleep took over.
But of course, I slept for more than five minutes.

26/Feb/2019/
/@BlueWhiskers1/
/Dragon Age/
/Chapter 5/
/1193 words./