24 | madaah

Lambi See Anaa Ki Gali
Maan Koi Kaisay Murhegii
Lafzon Mein Hai Aag Lagi
Tou Phir Baat Kisay Aagy Chalay Gi

Biting the end of her pen, she stared at the roses on the desk. Who could send her flowers? She creased her eyebrows. Aarat? That's where they signed the contract for medical supplies and warehouse. Her brain was aching at this point, but there wasn't anyone whom she could point out. Scrunching his nose, Ali Sir had rushed out of her office to sulk in his own office. Only to come back and snatch the Penguin from her window.

"Allergic to flowers." He took it with him, leaving Laila with her mouth wide open in bewilderment.

What?

She rubbed her forehead, snickering. Oh, how she missed this place and the peculiar antics of her boss. When she returned to work, it kept her from relentlessly staggering back into her loss. The grief was there when the dusk consumed the day and the nightfall brought stillness. She'd remember each and every memory of Mother Margaret, but the closer they got to the conference the more she got occupied by the project. The only thing disturbed her throughout the course was the bouquet of red flowers.

She had knotted the strands of auburn in a bun on top of her head, held together by the pen as she frantically typed. As usual, the black chiffon duppatta had fallen on her shoulders. She had been evidently putting her heart and soul in the hospital. He might have an alternative motive for the hospital but she looked at the bright side. The South side of Harnoi was in despairing need of a health care facility. If it was going to be a hospital built on vengeance, so be it as long as it provided free or low-cost services.

"Hello?" Her phone rang, interrupting her flow.

"Miss Laila?" A suave, composed voice streamed through the phone.

"Yes," She furrowed her eyebrows staring at the unknown number on the screen. She hardly got calls from unknown numbers on office calls. They went to the front office before getting transferred. "With whom am I speaking?"

"Asher Ejaz, we met during the Aarat project."

Ahhh. Damn. She closed her eyes, recalling the meeting. She had definitely met him.

"Yes. How are you, Mr. Ejaz?" She facepalmed at her blunder, but everything happening since the meeting had made it all blur for her.

"Doing Well. How are you?"

"Fine, thank you for asking." She flipped through the pending agenda and glanced at the emails but there was nothing that was related to that specific project except the progress report. "How may I help you, Mr. Ejaz?"

"I hope you liked the flowers. We didn't get the chance to show you our hospitality in Aarat. A token of apology for that." Oh. Fish. He sent those? Aarat. Of course. She nearly slammed her head on the table.

"Uhh. Thank you? It's okay. We had to get back to the city due to uh uhm weather." She groaned quietly. What the hell was she supposed to say to all this?

"Laila." He took a pause. "I will cut straight to the point. I am in Islamabad for a couple of days. If it's okay with you, May I ask you out to dinner?" The phone fell from her hand. She barely caught it before it almost slipped to the floor. Just then Zain walked in. What was wrong with the timing of everything in her life. Kisi ne sachi mein kaala jadoo kia hai. She grumbled.

"Mr. Ejaz, I-"

"Please, I insist. Just one dinner is all I am asking for. Take your time, but I'll be waiting for your call. You have a good day, Laila."