21: Desperation

Levi is furious. He turns a corner in the labyrinth of corridors and comes face to face with the door to his Uncle's room. Just looking at the doorway makes Levi angry. He doesn't understand how this happened. They were always so careful with protecting Eren's secret. They made sure he kept it hidden, made sure the doors were locked and secure whenever Eren was in the room. The boy wasn't stupid, either. There is no way that Eren would have revealed himself out in the open. Or at least Levi would have hoped Eren was smart enough to withold those urges. Either way, somehow Eren's gift was found out and Levi needs to understand how it happened and why it happened. He breathes in deeply trying to settle his enraged body and then opens the door to the King's chambers.

"Ah, Levi," Kenny greets with a small nod of his head. He's alone in his room, sitting down in an armchair while Eren is most likely laying on a cold stone floor. The man sips at a tankard of what Levi can only assume to be wine, knowing his Uncle's taste. He's far too relaxed. "I actually needed to speak with you. Perfect timing, brat."

Levi frowns and narrows his eyes down at his Uncle. The man takes one final swig of his drink before he stands up and gestures Levi closer. "It's about your servant."

The Prince raises an eyebrow in slight interest, but it doesn't overwhelm the need to start screaming and shouting at the man for throwing his friend, servant, and romantic love interest into the dungeon. Eren may possess magic but he is in no way a threat to the kingdom. Levi has seen what Eren can do, and the boy absolutely refuses to be evil despite the power he holds.

"What about him?" Levi asks cautiously. The way Kenny sighs and places a hand on his shoulder, it's almost as if he's about to tell someone their house has burnt down. It's not a house that has been burnt, but the thin line of trust that Levi has for his Uncle. All the prince can think about is Eren in the cold darkness of the cellars. He must be shivering in there, scared and frightened. The thought has Levi tensing up in worry. He wants answers from his Uncle as soon as possible, and the look he gives the man shows impatience and anger.

"He's a sorcerer," Kenny tells Levi. It's strange hearing his uncle accuse Eren for sorcery. Even if the statement is true, it's both frightening and almost humorous. Many times Kenny has accused someone of sorcery and has had them executed. Before, Levi would follow along blindly, but since Eren, he now knows that innocent people have been slaughtered as well. This is the one sorcerer that Levi refuses to give up on.

"Eren?" Levi frowns in disinterest. He snorts, feigning amusement at his uncle's bazaar and clearly very wrong assumption. "Ha!" The prince fakes laughter before coughing once to clear his throat. "That's ridiculous. He's too stupid to be a sorcerer. He's just a lowly servant boy."

Kenny shakes his head, not persuaded by Levi's words. Kenny full heartedly believes that Eren is magic, and as much as Levi wants to think that this is all on a whim and there's no evidence, he's left utterly helpless when the King pulls out the proof needed to condemn Eren. What makes Levi's throat and chest tighten is how familiar this piece of evidence is. He doesn't understand. He wants answers but instead he has been provided with more questions. How is this possible? It shouldn't be here, it was burnt away with the witch, wasn't it? But if was burnt along with Erza, why does Kenny hold it? Outstretched to him is the missing page from Eren's book. The content displayed being spells of dark magic, of destruction and chaos. Levi eyes the page with wide, terrified eyes. He doesn't know how the King got a hold of this, nor how Kenny came to the conclusion that this belonged to Eren.

"We found this in his room," Kenny sighs, as if he actually cares about how Levi is feeling. Levi frowns at the evidence with disgust. The jagged lines of the page are sharp enough to pierce through Levi's heart. The more he glares at the dark language of magic, the more he doesn't understand. "He was going to use this to destroy Maria."