42: Tragedy

The dragon is completely preoccupied chasing after the King who has so suddenly appeared and at the worst of times. Eren rushes after the King and the beast with his head high, confident he can change the outcome of this horrid battle. Kenny is leading the dragon outside of the city gates, away from Levi and Mikasa which brings a certain kind of relief to Eren. he never thought he would appreciate anything Kenny does, but one thing about the King is that he always strives to protect his family.

"Over here you fat ugly bastard!" Eren hears Kenny call the dragon. The King is being too careless. He swipes his sword erratically at it with no care about what he hits. It's impossible to break through the scales. The dragon is coated in them like some magical armour. Anything that hits it bounces off. It was a miracle how Levi was able to strike the dragon's foot with a blade however one can assume the dragon lacks scaling on the underside of it. Eren stops behind the city gates and hides behind it, watching the King swing and miss or have the dragon completely negate all damage from it. 

'Am I really going to expose myself like this?"

Everything about this screams bad news. If he doesn't act, the king will most likely die. If Eren does move to help, he will probably die by Kenny's hand for pursuing magic. Or worse, Eren will be blamed for bringing the dragon here.

'If only there was an easy way to do this...'

Eren closes his eyes tightly, trying to give himself the pep talk he needs to act before he charges up to Kenny with the intent of stopping this madness. He just hopes that a small gesture of saving the man's kingdom will save Eren's life from the chopping block.

~~°•○●○•°~~

"I'm not going to Hange," Levi pushes Mikasa away with the remaining strength left in his arm. The movement causes the wound on his back to stretch and the raven hisses in pain shortly after speaking. His cousin almost scoffs at Levi's request to be left here, amidst the rubble and bleeding out. The dragon's attacks have proved dangerous even to strike the mighty Levi Ackerman down, Captain of the Knights, Prince of Maria and heir to the throne. Mikasa hauls Levi onto his feet, each subtle movement of his muscles causing him unbearable amounts of pain. His entire back burns from the gash the dragon gifted him. One step forward is all it takes for the stinging to increase.

"You're stupid if you think you can fight like this," Mikasa clicks her tongue in annoyance. She holds one of Levi's arms around her neck, one hand holding onto it, and her other arm looping around Levi's waist to support him as they walk. Levi turns toward the city gates, seeing the dragon chasing after his uncle and Eren. Walking away from them feels wrong. It is his duty to the kingdom to protect those who live within the city walls. Eren is one of those citizens, Kenny be damned. 

"What if Kenny snaps and kills Eren after finding out he's magic?" Levi asks, worry evident in his voice.

"That is likely to happen," Mikasa answers.

"You're not helping."

"Once we get you to Hange, you'll thank me."

"Doubtful."

"Pipsqueak."

"Moody bitch."

"Maybe I should drop you," Mikasa scowls. Levi motions his hand as if to say easy there, tiger, and the two continue hobbling down the road to the castle. A minute passes of them slowly walking onward before Levi huffs and makes Mikasa cease her walking. Levi gives Mikasa a frown before he glances once again back to the action. There is no way Levi can just sit and be patched up knowing now that Eren is throwing his life on the line. If Kenny doesn't get him, the dragon will. If not the dragon, then Kenny. It goes against his lover's instinct to be leaving Eren behind to seek shelter. Eren is his one and only. As Eren's partner, Levi needs to protect his man from the dangers of this world and he has just left Eren to face off against the deadliest threat of his life.