11: Friend or Foe

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! I hope each and every one of you had a great start to the year and may the following months be filled with joy, fun, happiness and all the good stuff!

I'm really excited for this chapter, and would LOVE to hear what you think!

Without further ado, enjoy!

Eren froze as his name was uttered by the raven haired Prince. Never in his life has he ever felt his heart beat so fast. It was hammering in a thunderous wave of panic. There's no denying of what Levi saw. How much of what the Prince saw doesn't even matter at this point, because the Prince still bloody saw it! It could have been the flames! Maybe they were too bright, maybe they got too close? Eren doesn't know, but right now his eyes are more focused on the sudden fear that flashes within Levi's eyes.

"ARGH!" Levi jolts back and hastily stands onto his feet, sword firmly clutched in his hand. Eren is at a complete loss of what to do. The man looks terrified and ready to kill at any moment!

"L-Levi-"

"YOU'RE A SORCERER!" Levi shouts in both anger and disbelief. All this time Levi believed Eren to be a friend, a trusted ally. The mage gulps as Levi glares harshly into him. Eyes burn holes into Eren and yet also hesitate to step towards him. Slowly Eren raises his hands in surrender, to show he isn't a threat.

"Levi, just calm down," the brunet boy attempts to soothe the enraged Prince, but his words only increase Levi's anger.

"CALM DOWN?!" Levi screams at Eren, his voice loud and strained. Eren knows that if he were anyone else, Levi would have already struck him down. But this is Eren, the friend that has always been beside him. The person who they have shared many memories together with. They've known each other for so long in such an enclosed environment. How could Eren be a sorcerer after all this time?!

"Eren," Levi says the man's name with a bitter taste lingering in his mouth. Eren gulps as those dark silver eyes stare him down. "You betrayed me."

Eren feels a stab pierce his heart. The animosity in those eyes, the way Levi stares at him with a burst of hate that has never been present before. Levi sees him as the enemy. It hurts more than anything Eren has ever felt. He's been stabbed before, wounded in battle, even been beaten up a few times, but the cold glare he receives from his once friend is a chilling pain on a whole new level.

"I didn't betray you," Eren says with confidence. "Just take a deep breath and we can talk this out!'

"SHUT UP!" Levi draws his sword out of his sheath. Before Eren has a chance to think of his next move, Levi lunges for him with a hand wrapped tightly around Eren's throat. The squeeze tightens and the mage gasps in agony as his windpipes become blocked. The hatred in Levi's eyes is ghastly. A friend who once cared has switched to hate so quickly all because Eren was born with a talent he never asked for. Tears well up in Eren's eyes as he throws a pleading stare at the deranged Prince. Levi pants heavily, his own eyes welling with the sting of betrayal. His fingers never lose their hold around Eren's airway and by now the world is starting to get blurry and fuzzy. Eren can't breathe. He gasps and claws at Levi's arm to let him go, but the Prince doesn't relent.

"I never thought you would betray me like this," Levi speaks as he grip tightens, Eren releasing tears of anguish. "Not you, Eren! Whom I trusted the most!"

Levi releases his grip and Eren bursts into a coughing fit, gasping for the sweet air all around him. The relief doesn't last as Levi raises his sword in the air. Although hesitant, the intent to kill is definitely there. Eren widens his eyes as Levi strikes down, aiming for Eren's neck. In his immediate reaction Eren focuses his energy and sends Levi flying off of him, the Prince crashing into a tree due to such a force being used. Eren breathes in the air quickly, filling his lungs with the oxygen he so desperately needs. The ache of Levi's fingers gripping him still lingers and hurts, but his main worry isn't that. He coughs once more before staggering over to the dizzy Prince who is recovering from such a strong impact. With a gesture of Eren's head he quickly moves the sword away from Levi's grip.