37: Overwhelmed

Eren widens his eyes. It's the dead of night. Crickets are heard outside making their usual song and the crisp air seeps through the cracks of Eren's window causing a chill to creep down his spine. The mage sits up in his bed, a pounding headache slamming into his head. The pulsing thumps hit him with terrible pain. He cringes and holds his hands to his head to try and ease the ache, but to no avail. The pain keeps on creeping on until suddenly, it vanishes. It vanishes so quickly that Eren almost feels as if someone had clicked their fingers and then the pain was no more. 

He breathes heavily for a moment before the hairs at the end of his neck stand on end. He doesn't know how to explain it, but the sensation that lingers over his body from the head pains is incredibly eery. At first, he tries to turn in the bed and go back to sleep to ignore whatever it is his body is trying to tell him. But doing that only makes the feeling increase its intensity. He kicks the blankets off of his bed and lays sprawled against his tattered sheets. When the feeling still refuses to leave him he throws his pillow away, too. 

Tossing and turning, the more he tries the more sleep feels pushed away. He huffs and sits up once more, running frustrated hands through his head before shaking at another strong chill coursing through his veins. 

Eren... 

The boy looks up alarmed. He stares around his room in every direction he can think of before standing up alert. His name sounded in the room again, this time clear and more inside his head. He carefully walks towards his window, feeling a strong urge to look over the kingdom as the voice in his head calls for him once more. Eren lifts the latch on his window and pushes the glass panes open, staring out at the city below. His eyes frantically scan the land, hoping to find something that connects to the voice. 

You are chosen...

The voice calls in a gentle whisper. Once those words echo inside his head, he feels a soft humming coming from his chest.  Then a light slowly emits from under his shirt. He swallows, filled with uncertainty Eren runs a hand over his shirt to feel the necklace Levi gave him still around his neck and the source of the glowing. 

Eren clenches the green stone in his hand and as soon as his hand makes contact with the glowing rock, the voice in Eren's head becomes stronger, more defined and ever so thundering. 

"Fuck," Eren gasps out as a sudden pang of energy flows through his body and his mind is taken away from his quaint little bedroom in Hange's chambers. He feels himself falling, falling and falling until he lands back in his bedroom, hard on his bed. He feels the wood underneath him strain, but the bed maintains his hold. Eren feels a rush of emotions flow throughout him; Fear, panic, apprehension, and stress. Then the voice comes once more, and this time Eren finds the voice to be more recognisable.

His father's. 

You are the chosen one, Eren. I pass on everything I have to you...

"What do you mean?" Eren asks, but he receives no answer. He is instead left in his bedroom to figure out the answer for himself. He thought he had heard the last of his father, but considering tonight's events, he would say that this would truly be the last night hearing from his old man. The words seem filled with meaning but no matter how hard Eren tries to think what that meaning could possibly be, he is left empty-handed and more confused than ever.

"What does he mean everything has been passed to me?" Eren asks aloud, hoping that if he speaks and hears the words he may understand them. Then he recalls the dreams he used to have. The dreams of agonising pain and torturous burns that never marked. It's been months since he had them, and yet he never did figure out the reason why he experienced such trauma to his body. An invisible trauma, one that he cannot see or control.