19: Speak Freely

Eren couldn't stop himself. Levi has been gone for ten minutes now, and in that time all Eren could think about was the thin layer of dust coating the desk, the slight smudge on the window as well as the armour that sits on a bench, ready and just waiting for Eren to polish it to perfection. It must be all that time serving a clean freak that has made Eren feel it necessary to remove these flaws as soon as possible. Eren isn't entirely sure when he started caring about the cleanliness of a room. He certainly shows no care when it comes to his own personal chambers. But he knows Levi would have a hissy-fit if his room was out of order. It's actually quite surprising that Levi told him to sit still and not do anything despite the fact that things are severely in need of a servant's touch. Regardless, Eren allows his magic to polish the armour while he erases the smudge on the window and a floating cloth sweeps away the dust. 

Not long after Eren has finished the few chores around the room and sat back down, Levi finally enters the room, arms behind his back and a sudden jump in his step. There's something about Levi today that Eren just cannot seem to place.

"Eren, I'm back," Levi announces, standing there with pride. Something is definitely different with the prince today. He almost seems happy, which is both surprising and a miracle considering the last few weeks of depression Levi was seeping into. All those failed dates and yearning for Elise made Eren believe that Levi would never be his normal self again. Eren wouldn't exactly call the way Levi is acting as normal, however the sudden burst of energy in him is quite refreshing.

"Welcome back," Eren snorts with a raised brow at the hands behind Levi's back. "So, anything you want me to do today? I already tidied up a bit and I also need to take the plate back to the palace kitchens. Oh! And I-"

"Sh!" Levi raises one hand up to silence the servant. "I don't want you to do any of that. None. Not today," the raven-haired man gives Eren a look of warning when the servant goes to protest. "In fact, I forbid you to work today."

Instantly Eren frowns and crosses his arms over his chest. It's his job to serve, and he's being relieved of that? Wait... Is Levi firing him? Levi wouldn't do that... They're best friends! Even though sometimes Eren forgets to tuck in the sheets, or occasionally punishes him for being mean with small magic pranks, never did he think he would actually be fired. Eren likes to think that they're close, that he means something to Levi. What will Eren do if he loses his job? There's only one thing he would be able to do; become Hange's full-time assistant.

Eren feels his stomach twist sickeningly as he thinks about life as Hange's apprentice. He swallows thickly as he imagines all the experiments Hange would conduct, and have Eren be the guinea pig. 

I'm going to die! Eren panics. This is the worst possible outcome of his life! How could he of fucked up so bad?! Eren runs a stressed out hand down his face and decides that the only logical thing to do is beg Levi for forgiveness of whatever it is he is in trouble for, plead Levi so Eren can keep his job. Ask for the prince to have mercy. However, all words Eren had prepared in his mind suddenly get stuck in his throat as Levi holds out his hand. His hand that holds onto a bunch of red roses, outstretched towards the very much confused Eren.

"I picked you these," the raven-haired prince says proudly. Eren blinks. Once in initial shock, twice as he finally processes the action.

"Uh... you... what, now?"  Eren stares alarmed at the beautiful bouquet that is being offered to him. Such vibrant red roses strung together with some rope, obviously thrown together quickly. Judging by the few dew drops still hanging on the leaves, Eren wouldn't be surprised if Levi had rushed out only moments before to have these picked.

"Ro-ses," Levi tells the stunned mage. "Take them. They're for you."

"Uh..." Eren eyes the pretty flowers with a skeptical glance. Hesitantly he takes the roses and peers around the soft petals, the few sprinkles of the remaining dew give the flowers an oddly magical feel. Levi wasn't serious, was he? There's no way that the prince, of all people, would gift a servant with some flowers. It is not only strange, but very odd with the wide gap between their status. Eren is a lowly servant, and Levi is a prince destined to rule the Kingdom. Yet Eren can't help but blush at the sudden gesture. Regardless of why, it's always nice to receive some sort of gift. Unless...