13: Heartbreak

For a whole day, Levi and his man-servant travelled towards the Kingdom of Maria. No matter how far they rode or walked, the area around them never changed from the forest setting. Trees line their path and occasionally block further passage. As their horses trot through the foliage of fallen leaves and broken sticks, silence has loomed over the two. There has been a lot to take in over the last twenty-four hours, and Eren knows that Levi still hasn't moved on from the initial shock of finding out his enormous secret. Eren doesn't blame him, and he has already promised to wait as long as it takes for Levi to come around.

The sun sets and another day has passed without seeing the walls of the familiar Kingdom. Eren sighs distantly as he listens to Levi make small talk of the mage's adventures of being a woman. Eren sits there answering questions as they come and go. He looks at the fire, keeping magic to a minimum knowing that Levi is still uneasy about it. Somehow Eren wishes Levi had the same consideration he did, because all this talk about being a woman only makes him feel queasy.

"So... what was it like to pee?" Is the next invasive question Levi decides to ask him. The Prince takes another swig out of the leather flask he's been carrying since they made camp, and puts all his attention onto Eren.

"Really awkward," Eren answers honestly, as he did the other questions Levi kindly interrogated him about. "The first time I didn't really know what I was doing and ended up pissing myself."

Levi hums and eyes Eren somewhat suspiciously. He takes another sip of the water before gazing at the fire. "Did you grope yourself?"

Eren would like a gold piece for every time someone asked him that. Why is it that the first thing people think of when they hear Eren turned into a girl is if he has groped himself? 

"I did not grope myself," Eren makes sure that his tone is firm and final so that Levi understands he has more respect for women than the man gives him credit for. "When I turned back is a different story."

"You're gross, I didn't need to know that," Levi curls his lip in disgust and takes another long lasting gulp from the water. The way he suddenly averts his eyes from the other makes Eren wonder if the Prince ever did the same while thinking about 'Elise'. The idea makes him shudder.

Quickly, he throws another log onto the fire and pokes at the burning ashes beneath the new piece of wood. Another sigh escapes him, his breath creating a mist in the cold night air.

"As much as being a lady was an experience, I'd rather be myself. A man," he says to conclude the conversation. Once again Levi stays eerily silent, eyes transfixed on the burning flames in front of him. Another sip before the man shivers.

"Is it bad that I disagree?" He asks timidly. The question surprises Eren, but not in the way he expected. The consequence of being a woman was having Levi fall in love with him. Now that the truth is out, Eren expected that there would be some lingering thoughts of devastation buzzing around that head of Levi's. However, to hear that he himself isn't good enough stirs a feeling of doubt within the pit of his stomach.

"Yes..." Eren answers with careful eyes watching over Levi's movements. "That is bad..."

"Sorry," Levi rolls his head to the side. "But you were such a cute girl..."

"Please don't say that. It makes me very uncomfortable..."

Levi chugs down another gigantic gulp of the water. Eren now suddenly has a suspicion it may not be what it seems. Earlier, Levi insisted it was water, but with the way he's talking so freely about the feminine side of Eren, the mage has reason to believe that it's possible he's been duped.

"But... you had such a nice ass!" He takes another drink before staring at Eren rather sadly. "Do you still have a nice ass?"

Eren stares back appalled by the Prince's forward attitude.