40: Chaotic Mess

Levi has never felt so much fear brewing inside of him. That giant creature spreading its wings in the distance, heading towards the city, is a weapon of mass destruction. He can't believe his eyes. How is he meant to believe that such a thing like that exists?! There's no fucking way. Swallowing becomes increasingly difficult as Levi watches the massive thing get closer and closer, flying over the forests that surround the Kingdom with ease.

"You're fucking kidding me, four eyes!" Levi breathes out in shaky panicked breaths. "You're actually bullshitting me! That can't be a fucking dragon."

"The proof is right there, Levi," Hange's voice is just as rattled as his, swelling with copious amounts of fear. This sudden sickness is unrivalled by anything Levi has ever felt. Even the fear of losing Eren hasn't come close to this sensation of impending doom running down his spine.

"Dragons have been extinct for thousands of years... they're from the old religion, the dark ages!" Levi pulls at his hair in disbelief. Why now have they decided to show themselves? Why here? Hange speaks answering those very questions. 

"No sighting of dragons have been recorded for hundreds of years... because all this time they have stayed close to the Dragon Lords. A hidden sorcerer with the ability to control and tame them. But if their current Dragon Lord has passed... then that means Eren is the only being alive that can stop it."

"Fuck," Levi runs a shaky hand through his hair, his gaze focusing on his lover passed out and sweating up puddles. Eren cringes in his sleep, body twitching and pained gasps being forced out of him. It's similar to when Eren passed out all those moons ago. When that jester had been permanently banned from the royal court. The way he is suffering now is exactly how it was back then. The boy is all alone within his mind, fighting off whatever foreign foe has corrupted his precious soul. Hange explains that communication with the beast takes time to adjust, and because the dragon has attempted communication in the past, Eren lies dormant trying to raise the barriers in his mind palace. 

"I need to alert the guards. Sound the warning bell. No one in the lower town is safe!" Levi hastily runs towards the door, making sure to grab his sword from its stand. "Keep an eye on Eren and get me as soon as he wakes!" 

He doesn't wait to hear the reply from Hange. The stakes are too high for Levi to sit idly by the mage's side, no matter how much he would rather be with him. A dragon of all things had to come to terrorise the Kingdom and at a critical point when King Kenny is away in Sina. This is fucked, so incredibly fucked by Levis's standards. He knows next to nothing about them, no weak spots, no vital information that can help. Goblins, sure! He's tackled a few trolls in his lifetime, but a dragon is a whole other level, a creature thought to be extinct suddenly arising when the king is away, and there is only Levi to defend. 

He rushes towards the first few guards he spies on his way to the armoury. He barks out orders to them in quick pants, ordering them to sound the warning bell and gather as much manpower as they can. The tightness in his chest doesn't go away, even when he runs into his cousin.

"Levi, what's going on?" She asks worriedly. Levi doesn't have time to stay and explain so he grips Mikasa's arm and drags her down the corridors with him. Explaining everything Hange has told him takes some time to get Mikasa up to speed but as soon as she is informed she is ready for fighting action. Once the two Ackerman reach the armoury, they hear the sound of the warning bell chiming its message of danger. Footsteps are immediately heard left, right and centre. Knights gather into the armoury to grab swords, armour, crossbows, and anything they may need to fight whatever threat has come to the Kingdom. Levi stands there waiting, doing his own armour assembly today and immediately feels a sharp ache in his chest when he recalls his servant lying on his bed, battling throughout whatever mental battle is going on between him and the beast.