15: The Return

Long time no see, huh? Very sorry for that very much delayed chapter. A lot has been going on that has side tracked my time for writing. Plus, we now have the Virus going on so personal life has been very hectic.

Enough excuses. I'm sorry, and I hope all of you out there are staying safe! Enjoy the chapter xx

Seeing the gates of Maria didn't bring the peaceful feeling Eren used to feel when gazing upon the broad beauty. He remembers the first time he set foot onto the cobblestone paths leading up to the grand castle. He felt so small as the towers loomed over the lower town. Giant structures that just screamed wealth and power, and when Eren met the King of Maria, he understood that power and wealth was indeed contained within those stone walls.

Appearing before the King is always a terrifying feat, none more locked in fear than Eren. Every time he enters the throne room he is greeted by the overwhelming sense of dread. Not only does the King glower down from his royal perch, throne situated three steps higher than the ground level, but with the strengthened laws on magic, Eren is afraid that he'll be executed with every breath he takes. Never has he been more afraid stepping into King Kenny's presence than he is today.

Levi and Eren cease walking a considerable distance away from the sitting King. Kenny's eyes look unimpressed, especially at the woman the two men have brought with them, hands tied behind her. The frown that adorns the King's face is increased along with his eyes narrowing at the sight of the Prince and his servant. Not a trace of happiness is found.

"Levi," comes Kenny's stern voice. Eren watches as Levi tenses under the heavy tone of disappointment seething from the King. "You missed your coronation. The celebration, the ceremony. Everything."

The Prince bows his head down in shame. Kenny's lack of pride for his nephew always hits Levi hard. Eren wants to tell him it'll be okay, but he is still waiting for the moment Levi turns around and offers Eren's head to the King as compensation for his faults.

"The journey took longer than expected, however we managed to catch the witch. She had set up a trap to try and kill you."

Kenny's gaze immediately falls onto the helpless woman in front of him. Tired and beaten. She shivers from the cold but her expression is nothing but filled with hatred. If either of them let down their guard she would definitely attempt to slay them all. Once again, Kenny only gives Levi a look of disapproval.

"Why haven't you killed her?"

Levi gulps. Even Eren can sense the anger slowly rising in the King's aura.

"We..." Levi pauses momentarily, briefly glancing at Eren who stands stiffly behind him. "We brought her here, my Lord."

"Here," Kenny scoffs. "Into my castle, where magic is forbidden, giving her the chance to cast her sorcery and murder every single one of us?!" The King stands up, slowly descending the three steps that prove his superiority, however being on their level doesn't hinder the fact that Kenny is the authority. In every way this man has the power to choose who lives and who dies. "I thought I taught you better, Levi."

The Prince winces, Eren catching the moment the words hit him. How they altered his expression and slowly wore away his brave exterior.

"When there is a sorcerer, I expect you to not hesitate and kill it. You don't need to bring it all the way here and ask for my approval."

Eren stares worriedly in the Prince's direction. This has to be the time Levi decides Eren isn't worth the trouble. This is where Levi gives Eren up and exposes his secret. Kenny will be furious and have him executed alongside Erza. But Levi simply bows his head down in resignation.