20: Joking Around

The night is beautiful. Stars twinkling in the sky, a slight breeze in the cold air, and not a stir at all. Except for the sound of frantic footsteps booming against the stone floors, echoing in the great corridors of the castle. Levi rushes down the many stairways and up another few before he halts and stares at the Lady Mikasa's room.  He breathes in a heavy breath, steadying his racing heart before he softly taps at the door. The door opens and Sasha stands there with a wide eyed look. She immediately bows her head in respect for the royal, though Levi can see the loaf of bread the girl has hidden behind her back. Obviously, Mikasa was kind enough to smuggle some food from the palace kitchens for this girl.

"Your Highness!" She says with a startled breath. Levi raises an eyebrow at the suddenly very frightened girl. Getting a snack while on the job isn't allowed for servants, but at the moment, Levi has better things to think about than punish a maid for breaking the rules. 

"Is Mikasa around?" Levi peers into the room, seeing the royal princess sitting quietly on her bed. 

"Uh, yeah, she's just inside, I'll um-"

"Tell her I have a love related problem."

"Sasha, you are dismissed," Mikasa tells the girl. Instantly the nervous maid nods her head. She turns to leave only to be stopped by Mikasa again to be gifted with a basket filled with potatoes. Once again, Levi will choose to ignore the special treatment Mikasa is showing the girl, only because if Eren needed food, Levi knows that he would sacrifice the food stored in the palace kitchens for him, too. The girl hurries along and the door is closed leaving Levi and Mikasa alone to talk. The raven-haired woman pulls Levi further into the room before forcing him down to sit in a chair, Mikasa taking the seat across from him.

"Speak."

"I'm in love," Levi announces to the surprised girl. She seems uncertain at first and only nods her head slowly to register the words.

"Okay. With who?"

"Eren."

Mikasa coughs violently in shock. Of all the names she expected to hear, Eren's name was not one of them. She expected maybe a Guinevere or a Victoria. Definitely not an Eren. 

"Hang on a second!' Mikasa gasps. "What the hell happened to, 'oh no, Mikasa! He's a guy and I can't love him!' or 'I don't like Eren, Mikasa, No I don't!' Or even, 'He's a guy and that's disgusting, tch!' And-"

"The fact that I was being a whiney baby and letting my uncles' approvals interfere with my true feelings," Levi glares at Mikasa's very bad impression of him. He sounds nothing like that and it's very insulting that she even dared try. Levi shakes his head as the girl innocently smiles at him. He'll forgive her, but only this once. He takes in another deep breath, letting the thought of Eren overwhelm him and settle him into a sudden calm. "I'm in love with him," Levi admits, with a ghost of a smile wavering over him. "I'm constantly thinking about him. I want him so badly, but... how?!"

"Have you tried telling him?" Mikasa suggests.

"Well..." Levi thinks back to his time at the lake. He definitely hinted towards his true feelings. Whether Eren understood what Levi was getting at is an entirely different question. "Sort of. I made some gestures and obvious clues when I took him on a date today. But I didn't think it was the right time, you know?" 

Mikasa nods in understanding. Levi stands up and glances around the large room, immediately eyeing off the desk in the far right corner of her chambers. "I'm going to write him a love letter."

"You do realise that Eren is a man, a servant, and magic, right? Uncle Kenny is going to kill you! Right after he kills him!"

"I won't tell him," Levi shrugs and walks towards the nice dresser with a mirror resting on the wall.