34: Revelation

Once again Eren is surrounded by the dark. Every corner around him forward and back is left in pitch blackness. It's a darkness Eren has become more familiar with as the days go by. Each time he is always expecting the worst, having experienced things beyond imagination within the dark confines of the empty space. There is only pain, only suffering, only the sounds of his own anguished cries that follow with the coming of his dreams. Eren wishes for an end to all of this, anyone would with the amount of horror that awaits. As soon as he realises he is back within the abyss, it immediately forces tears from his eyes.

Please let me go, he begs into the nothingness. Please just tell me what I have to do to make this end. He finds that his hands are gripping the messy strands of his own hair, pulling and ripping out some of it. He clenches it tightly as he sobs helplessly, wanting nothing more than to be free. He lets out a loud, blood-curdling scream. The sound travels for miles, echoing all around him and calling back to him, and then, once again, nothing. Eren heaves in a deep breath and blinks away what he feels to be the oncoming onslaught of new tears. Some have already fallen, and he wipes them away with his sleeve. It is only then that he notices something is different within all this blackness. There is something that has changed since the first time he entered this insanity.

It takes quite a while to work up the courage, but eventually, Eren decides to take a step forward. He gasps. As his foot moved and hit the ground, white light flourished around where he stepped, momentarily lifting the foreboding darkness that wrapped around him. It startled the mage, but stranger still, there was something rather comforting about the warmth it gave off. Eren takes another step, and once more the temporary light brightens the floor around his foot. Eren's chest flutters. Something has definitely changed. The boy hastily rubs up and down his arms and even feels across his face. He is warm, but not burning alive like he has so many times before.

Eren walks forward, more at ease, although still very wary of his surroundings. The light that comes from his feet hitting the ground help brighten the area only briefly, and it gives Eren enough time to scope out the details of his holding. The room seems to stretch out for quite a bit, but with each burst of white Eren begins noticing more and more things he has never noticed before. The walls are most certainly of stone and also covered with thick green moss. Eren runs his hand over one of the walls, finding the softness of it to be relaxing compared to the hard rough surfaces he had gotten used to. Another step reveals that there are indeed windows, so high that Eren can only wish to reach them. The windows have tattered curtains attached to them, and despite the window clearly looking out at something, Eren can tell that there is nothing but blackness behind them. Curious, Eren ponders as he jumps on the spot to see the window once more. A window that has no meaning. Nothing to see out of it, and Eren would even guess there is no way to see in it either.

The more Eren walks along the once darkened corridor, the more Eren begins to realise that this isn't the same place he once was. The corridor does not stretch forever forwards and backwards. He discovered this when he came to a sudden crossroads, a path leading in each direction, all lined with moss stone walls but this time all having an end. Eren for the first time is able to see where the pathways lead. He makes a left, following the corridor to an empty room. Just from breathing in the musty air, he can tell the room has not been touched in years. Dust particles are covering the floor like a blanket. Eren sneezes as soon as the dust becomes stirred due to his movement. A step of light reveals an empty washtub, the wood very much dead and eaten by termites over its abandoned time. A lone cloth is neatly folded over the rim of the washtub, a towel of some sort. The cloth looks almost black, but much like the rest of the room, it has only been coated in dust over time.

Eren leaves finding nothing worth noting and moves into the room directly across from him. This time Eren walks into what he believes to be an old kitchen. Once again the room is covered in dust. There is a stone bench with old kitchen utensils sitting on it laid out neatly. An empty plate lies there, old herbs that were tied to an overhang above the bench have turned to straw, completely dried out. When Eren nears the straw, the herbs all disintegrate. The mage furrows his eyes as his steps light up the surroundings for him. Another room trapped in the past, blanketed in years of neglect. Not even a fingerprint has been left in this room, abandoned and left to rot into nothing.