Chapter 45 : Making Mends

Anika had decided to spend time with the other two ladies. They had given an off to the cook for a few days. So it was Pinky doing most of the cooking. Pinky noticed Anika unusually silent. She guessed it was to do with his son's goof up.

"Anika, are you upset about Shivaay?" Pinky asked looking at how focused Anika was at dicing the capsicums.

Anika looked up, "no," she tossed a smile.

"Lie!" Pinky sighed covering the lid of the cooker. Jaanvi looked on.

"Anika, it's only been a few months that you both have known each other."

"Pinky is right, men take time." Jaanvi piped in as she stirred the soup.

"I am not taking Shivaay's side. But yes, men in general take time to be sensitive about things. Coming to Shivaay, he's never been with a girl before, forget being in a relationship. I used to spy so much, never got a single girl's information from his room." Pinky smiled. "There were magazines though... when he was in tenth grade or something!" Pinky laughed and Anika blushed, understanding what kind of magazines Pinky could be referring to. 

Jaanvi laughed.

"See, it was wrong of him to not know your parents' names. I can even give him a smack for that if you wish. But, just don't feel bad about what happened. It took years for Shakti Ji to understand my choices. Until Shivaay was three he didn't even know that I hated mango kulfi. He got that every time because he liked it. Men can be like that at times."

"Pinky is right, Anika. We've all been through their insensitivity at one time or another. But with time things generally fall into place. Marriages need a lot of patience. The current generation doesn't understand this. If our marriages have worked today it's because we've given more than a second chance." Jaanvi said smiling.

"Exactly. I know nowadays girls want guys who'd go around the world for them. They want equality, they want respect and they want love. Over time girls have started taking a stand for themselves, even in relationships and that's good. Boys have become understanding too. But at the end of the day, they are men, the emotions take time. If you think Shakti Ji was sweet and so adorable before you're wrong." Pinky smiled stupidly. "He used to not even talk to me properly until some time. The arranged marriages weren't so rosy before. We didn't get to hang out as you all get to. Daddy Ji would have gone nuts if I said I wanted to hang out with Shakti Ji before marriage." Pinky chuckled.

Jaanvi smiled.

"What I am trying to say is, be upset with him but don't let it hurt you inside. It's going to take a while for him to actually understand and be sensitive to things about you. Be angry at him, it works most of the time. Even earns you gifts. Just don't let it hurt you or give up. If people started giving up, there would never be successful marriages!"

Anika hugged her immediately. Pinky returned the warm hug, kissing her cheek. "You can always tell me if my son is being a jerk. I won't stick to his side just because I gave him birth." Pinky said smiling softly.

"Or if she does, you can always get to me. Anyway, I miss fighting with Pinky."

"That's because you've become tolerable Bhabhi!" Pinky muttered.

"Excuse me. It's just that you've become sensible with age!" Jaanvi retorted.

"Really now... you remember the Holi when.."

"Mom, Badi Maa... we should focus on dinner." Anika intervened before the two started focusing on digging old wounds.

* * *