Chapter 22 : Comforting Closeness

Anika entered her room to find it empty. She glanced around but didn't see him. It had been two days since he had returned from his trip. Anika quickly changed into a simple dress. She hated changing twice in the night but had no other option. She couldn't wear capris or shorts and attend dinner neither could she sleep in the kurti and leggings. She wore a patiala under her tunic and stepped out wiping her face. She quickly reached to her phone. She had forgotten to call her mother.

"Hi, mumma!" she spoke placing her towel on the chair.

"Finally, someone remembers me!"

"Oh, God, you're missing me so much?" Anika smiled pressing her phone between her shoulder and ear while picking up her bag. She pulled out her laptop and placed it on the table.

"I am not missing you, Anu. But you are surely missing out on so much. This place is heaven. It's so beautiful."

"I know, I saw the pictures!" Anika smiled waiting for her laptop to boot.

"You saw them? No time to reply huh?"

"Arey mumma, this new job and everything it's making me crazy. I still have to get used to it."

"By everything you mean, your prince charming huh?"

Anika giggled, "Please stop with that – Prince charming, yes him and other things as well. Oh and guess what, I had ladyfingers the other day. Not just that, brinjal also."

"Oh, my, God. I didn't know your Prince Charming could make you do that!"

"Not prince charming Mumma, Prince Charming's mother."

"Oh, so you're bitching about your MIL!"

"Hey, I am not bitching. She is very sweet. We can't stop talking once we start. But she's very particular about food. Everyone at home must eat what's made, no exceptions. She taught me how to make Kheer, yesterday."

Mrs. Talwar smiled at the other end listening to her daughter go on about her mother-in-law. She was happy that Anika had a wonderful family now. Every time she called her Anika would have so much to tell her about everyone in the family. Yes, she did feel a little bad that Anika was no longer just her daughter, nonetheless, she was happy. "That's good then, Pinky Ji can get your stubborn self to do things."

"Please, I am not stubborn," Anika argued.

"What about Shivaay..how is he?" her mother asked.

"He's good, better now. It was just a phase, they do miss Daadi but they don't get all sad. "

"That's good," her mother sighed, "What about you and him? Are things smooth between the two of you?"

"Yeah," Anika spoke going through her mail.

"Anika?"

"Mumma, what do you want me to say?" Anika could literally imagine her mother's expressions.

"Just keep me informed.." Anika rolled her eyes understanding what her mother was getting at.

"Whatever, By the way, Gauri is arriving tomorrow. I had asked Rohini aunty to get the house cleaned. I will pick her up from the airport or if I can't I will ask her to reach home and meet her there."

"Yeah, she had called. She was whining that I didn't wait for her to arrive."

"That idiot doesn't know the meaning of solo-trip, I suppose."

"Shut-up, Anu. Poor girl, she's coming back home and she will have to be alone."

"Stop pampering her, will you? I will meet her every day."