Chapter 19 : All in a day's time

It was ten minutes to four. The hospital was relatively silent. Pinky, Rudra, and Shakti had gone back home. While Shivaay and Omkara had opted to stay at the hospital. Sleep was miles away from Shivaay. Ever since his father had told him of his grandmother's wish he couldn't stop his racing thoughts. He obviously couldn't ask Anika to marry him right away. But the worry was eating him up. He had clearly told his parents that he wouldn't want to put Anika into a tight situation by asking her to marry him right away. But he wouldn't be at peace if something happened to Daadi before his marriage.

He felt her head move away from his shoulder. "Don't worry, she'll be fine." She mumbled holding is hand. He looked at her nodding. On the chair across from theirs sat Omkara. He was mostly asleep with his head against the headrest.

Anika sat up straight staring at the empty space. She didn't know what to feel. She wasn't that attached to Daadi. But seeing everyone helpless and sad, she felt the same way. "You should have gone home," he muttered resting his head on her shoulder.

Anika glanced at his head. Every time he came near she felt very weird. Right now, she knew he needed comfort. He hadn't really spoken to her properly ever since they had arrived at the hospital. She understood that she wasn't the person he'd expect comfort from. Their relationship was still very nascent. She relaxed to his current position.

"I wouldn't be at peace being at home anyway."

"You should go home and get some sleep." he suggested. "Your eyes look drowsy," he added.

Anika sighed as he lifted his head off her shoulder. "Go home, please." he requested cupping her face. Anika nodded. Maybe she could get some sleep and come back recharged. Shivaay had asked the driver to be at the hospital's parking. He walked Anika to the car.

* * *

It was ten 'o clock and the hospital was once again buzzing with various sounds. Anika walked towards the room Daadi was in. She greeted Shivaay with a smile. He looked tired and worn out. "How is Daadi?"

Shivaay sighed. "She woke up a little while ago. She hasn't spoken to anyone." Anika responded by nodding her head.

"I – can we talk?" She asked softly glancing over his shoulder at Omkara who was looking at the screen of his phone.

Shivaay looked at her and then around. He nodded walking ahead with her. "Umm, your mom spoke to my mother about our wedding." Anika began fidgeting with her fingers.

Shivaay let out an exasperated sigh. "I told mom not to. Anika, you don't have to bother about it. Okay? This entire thought of preponing the marriage is a bad one. A wedding is a big event in anybody's life. I don't want to spoil that for you." He spoke holding her hand, standing at the isolated corner of the corridor. Anika raised her gaze to meet his.

"So, that is the only reason?"

He blinked baffled. "What do you mean?" He asked looking at her with his tired eyes.

Anika gazed at his hand that held hers. They were anyway tying the knot nine days later. How would it matter if they did it earlier than that? "You want to marry me right?"

"Of course!" he answered looking at her confused. A little doubtful he asked, "do you have second thoughts?" His heart began skipping beats.

"No. I don't. All I am trying to say is that... I wouldn't mind a simple marriage with Daadi's blessings. If you are thinking that the perfect wedding is what I would want... with the beach and the events and everything else. You're wrong. I would choose Daadi's blessing and your happiness." She tried her best to explain in words.