Chapter 18 : Unforeseen Circumstance

Anika looked at him worried as his face reflected shock. "Make sure to carry the files, the left shelf, second from the top. That entire bag. I am calling Dr. Prasad." He looked up at her. "Daadi fainted. They're taking her to Divine Hospital." Informing her he walked out.

She quickly followed him. "I will come along." He turned to look at her and then nodded while holding the phone to his ear. "Hello, Dr. Prasad?" His voice trailed as he stepped out.

Anika quickly wore her sandals, picked up her phone from the center table and took the key to the main door from the key hanger. She quickly locked the door and slipped the key under the tulsi plant pot. She sprinted toward his car he was still talking to the doctor. "I will drive." She said softly. He shifted his gaze to meet her eyes. Anika was momentarily intimidated. Without his smile, he could really be intimidating. He gave her the keys.

Anika took a deep breath walking to the driver's seat. She was putting on her Google map when his voice made her look up, "Drive, I know the way." He spoke covering the mic of the phone. Anika nodded following his instructions while he was shouting at some assistant to connect him to some doctor immediately.

Anika dropped him off at the main gate and drove the car into the parking. She immediately made a call to her mother to fill her in on the happenings.

* * *

Daadi had complained of unease in breathing and chest pain She had already experienced a heart attack. Her heart was only sixty percent good. Shivaay ran through the corridors and stopped only when he spotted his brothers. "Hos is Daadi?"

"ICU," Omkara replied, "the chief cardiologist in charge today, is with her."

"Dr. Prasad is amidst a surgery. Might take him another hour or two." Shivaay exclaimed running his hand through his hair in distress.

Omkara blew out air sitting on the chair. "I hope she's fine." Rudra quietly sat beside Omkara.

"Did you tell dad or mom?" Shivaay turned to Omkara.

"I told my mom. She said she and papa would take the flight tonight. Couldn't reach out to your mom. And obviously I wouldn't give the news to Shakti uncle over phone knowing his condition."

"I will ask mom to break the news to him once he returns home," Shivaay spoke looking at his wristwatch.

"Shivaay, is Daadi okay?" Shivaay turned to find Anika walking towards him.

"She's in the ICU." He answered turning back to Omkara. "I will go check in with the hospital authorities about the cardio-specialist, you guys stick here and call me once the doctor comes out." Saying that he jogged away. Anika could clearly tell he was ruled by panic and sadness. She gave his brothers a tight-lipped smile sitting beside them.

* * *

Shivaay was tensed. Omkara held his hand while Dr. Notani, the doctor in charge,  sat on his chair before them. He was analyzing Daadi's medical history file. He looked up at the two young men.

"She's stable now. But.. her heart failure has reached Stage D. Her heart is very weak. It's time for action." His voice was dead serious just as his expression.

"Dr. Devesh Prasad will be arriving here shortly. I totally respect your expertise but since Dr.Prasad knows Daadi's medical history we'd want him to be on the front foot for this case." Omkara spoke when he sensed Shivaay to be lost in his thoughts.

"Sure. I have worked with Dr. Prasad on a few cases before. Let's decide upon his opinion once he is here. How long will it take him?"

"An hour at maximum," Omkara answered glancing at Shivaay.