Chapter 2 : Meet Her

( Anika )

I smiled looking at the kids whose faces suddenly were glowing. Their radiating smiles brought me peace. Soon I was surrounded by them.

"No fighting. There are plenty. Each gets one. Now, what had I taught you all the last time we met?"

The kids hurried back to their places and settled silently. The teacher smiled at me surprised, walking over to help me with the huge goody snack I had brought. The NGO I spent my free time with had assigned each of us, volunteers, to schools where underprivileged children were taught for free. I couldn't blame them for their greedy attitude. They had never seen so many snacks all at one time except on the television screens of the shops or the projector in the old ground that went up every Sunday screening the 80s or 90s movie. On the occasion of Children's day, we had kept a Manners Week in such schools. Today, being the last but one day. There was a medical camp set up following the distribution of some goods. 

As I announced the results of the various activities we had carried out during the week I handed each of them a goody packet. I was proud to see that they put what they had learned into use.

 Life was too short to waste. There was so much to do. My bucket list was never-ending. Rightly said it was, "each one of us can make a difference in our own unique ways." My lips settled to an unfading curve as I saw the kids chattering and beaming with joy. I looked at Seema, the teacher, as she patted my arm. "Yeah."

"Your phone Ma'am." She uttered.

"Anika!" I corrected her reaching for my phone. "Yes Boss, tell me," I spoke hearing my mother's voice at the other end. "Don't worry boss, I will be on time. Yes, I will collect it. At two-thirty right? Don't worry. Consider it done. Why fear, when Anika is here? Okay bye."

Today's day had been hectic. From collecting the goodies to reaching the school on time. I left the premises not wanting to be late at the tailor's. My mother had asked me to pick up a dress she had given for alteration. I was out on my way passing the filed when I saw a few teenage boys playing cricket. Oh, it would be a pity to miss out on the fun. Tying my dupatta aside I ran towards them. They giggled but allowed me to play. I smirked. I suppose they assumed like half the ample population in India, that women don't play cricket. One of them came up to me happily handing me the bat. I concealed my mirth looking at the boys exchanging playful glances. 

The first ball I missed on purpose gauging the boy's style. On the next, I took two runs. The third went for a six. The fourth went for a four. They looked on shocked while a few, the ones in my team clapped. By the end of two overs, I had made twenty-two runs and was still not out. I would have played if it wasn't the call from the tailor. I ran out of the ground handing the bat back and screaming a goodbye. Oh God! I had to reach the tailor before he closed his shop and left for his hometown. If I didn't I was sure to get roasted for my ways at home, which pretty much happens every other day!

* * *

I reached home by five. My mother broke the news of seeing a guy. Not again. I had seen three. None were the sort I could think of spending my entire life with. Honestly, the idea of marriage didn't settle well with me although I wasn't immune to it altogether. 

"Is marriage necessary?" I ignited the same old debate again. We do that don't we. Bring out the old topic again in the hope that the conversation would go our way for once. 

"We all need someone by our side at some point in our life. Trust me, it's a pain to get old all alone."

"Whose becoming old Maa? I feel that word, shouldn't be used for humans. Old is a state of mind, my sweetheart. Not body."