Chapter 5 : Amidst Confusion

Seven weeks later 

Anika tied her hair as she spoke to her mom, almost shouting so That her mother who was in the kitchen could hear her. "Mom, I am ready to leave. Shivaay said he will drop me, he must be around the place. Putting her wallet, handkerchief, pepper spray, and a jacket in her hand bag Anika hurried out of her room. She had worn a plain red top and casual blue denim. Over the past few weeks, she and Shivaay had been hanging out. To know each other better they had decided to go to places the other liked. It turned out that they were poles apart. However, they respected each other's choices. 

She smiled as she got into his car. "Hi!" She greeted him, he smiled and uttered a  "hey". He was charming, really very charming. The way he conducted himself, the way he spoke - almost flirtatious, the way he was around. Not to miss the scent he carried around. However, Anika was uncertain. They were very very different. While he preferred a highly expensive five-star hotel for even a cup of coffee, she preferred the next vendor on the street she found. While he spent his weekends in resorts, spas, and dance clubs. She preferred spending her weekends for social causes like helping in the maintenance of government schools, old-age homes or taking part in marathons for social causes. 

Nonetheless, she appreciated his willingness to try out things with her. She had taken him to paint a community wall on Saturday. On another day she had taken him to a small village some two hundred kilometers away to volunteer as logistics of a medical camp. Her mother was mad at her for making him do all of that. But she didn't force him. She just suggested and he accepted. Although,  Anika knew it was a big deal if a man who had millions and a plethora of properties and businesses under his name did all of that instead of simply writing a cheque as a donation. For a while now Anika had been judging him. He never really protested or declined. But Anika wasn't naive to not notice his discomfort. 

Shivaay smiled as he noticed her. In the past seven weeks or so of knowing her, he had only fallen more for her beauty. He really appreciated her dynamic ever charged up life. However, he knew the world she stayed in was different from his. She was beautiful, no matter what she wore. It amazed him that he could find a woman beautiful even when her hair was messy, dressed in an oversized t-shirt smudged with dirt with old jeans. In all honesty, he hated it when she dressed up like that, when she could literally pull of amazing designer clothes.

His liking for her was too strong. He had practically done stuff he hadn't imagined himself to do in nightmares. He didn't even want to remember them. Tonight they had decided to have dinner at an Italian restaurant. He sat silently throughout the drive, in retrospect. She didn't speak either. The restaurant wasn't far, the ride was fairly short-lived.

"So?" Anika spoke looking at him after the waiter walked away after taking their order. 

"So?" He smiled, placing the table cloth on one side while repositioning his glass. Anika smiled. He was too well-groomed and his etiquette was class apart. In earnestness, he was totally out of her league.

"Shivaay, you do realize that we are at two different sides of a spectrum?" Anika didn't bother to beat around the bush.

"So we are." He replied looking straight at her. Anika wondered what to say next. She hoped he'd say something, however, he didn't.  "I don't really think you and I would be a great idea. I mean no offense. You're amazing the way you are. I really like you, but, it's just that we.."

"..are out of place in each other's worlds." He completed leaning forward. Anika nodded pulling her lips into a sad smile. Shivaay placed his hand on hers. "I think the same way. I mean, it really is scary to think of .."

"..a life together." Anika completed it for him. He gave a small smile nodding. "Let's just shift to the friend zone and move on?" Anika suggested.