Chapter 61: I Guess So

J U L I E T

I can't wrap my mind around it.

Chase is my friend. He told me that he's always been honest with me. I feel my heart sulk, a pang of betrayal stinging me.

I pull my phone out, wanting to call any of my friends for help. The one bar of cellular network is no help because the call doesn't go through.

I try to move towards my car slowly, keeping an eye on Chase and the man inside with him. But of course, my luck sucks and I end up knocking into a can, creating a loud metallic sound.

I duck as the two men inside look towards me.

"Let me go check," the other man says.

"No, I'll go check, you wait here," Chase says.

I feel bile rising in my throat, hiding behind the wall. There's nowhere to hide.

I keep my mouth sealed tight, trying to be as quiet as I can. I hear his footsteps coming closer, I squeeze my eyes shut and they stop coming closer.

But they don't move away either. I ponder over whether or not I should sneak a peek.

While I'm still running over my track of thoughts, I feel a hand clamp my mouth shut and pin me against the wall.

"Shh," Chase tells me to keep quiet.

My adrenaline runs wild but I keep calm because me making noise or doing anything of that sort right now won't help me.

"Chase? What is it?" The man from inside asks.

"A cat," Chase says. I push him away harshly and he stumbles back, arching an eyebrow. "A feisty cat," he adds as an afterthought.

I can't believe it! What a fucking asshole!

The same hand he used to clamp my mouth shut is the same one he used to hug me yesterday telling me he 'loves me'.

What a liar!

"Xander, you can go! I'll deal with this cat," he yells.

"Whatever you say," Xander yells from inside.

I hear his retreating footsteps, soon his car drives off.

"Do you have any idea how lucky you are that your car broke down that side? If Xander saw it and found you here, he would've killed you, no questions asked," Chase tells me, an indescribable look in his eyes.

"And what? You're not gonna do the same with me?" I spit, tears stinging in my eyes.

He gives me a tired look. "I know you're confused-"

"Don't even think about coming closer to me," I warn, my voice is loud.

"J, listen to me. You know me, I would never hurt you," he raises his voice too.

"What were you talking about inside?" I cut to the point.

"If you calm down and sit down with me, I'll tell you everything."