Chapter 26: Please Don't Tell Me My Mouth Was Open

A X E L

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" Alden and Myra storm into the house, giving me a hug.

"Guys, it's like 8 AM." I rub my eyes groggily.

"Too bad." Myra pulls my cheeks and Alden carries her away. I miss the days they didn't touch each other.

"Surprise! Happy birthday! Look at you, legal adult!" Valerie hugs me tight.

I laugh. "Thank you, Val. Where were you last night?"

"Sorry, I missed my bus. Alden and Myra picked me up." She leaves me, running for her boyfriend.

Aaaand then they suck each other's faces. Lovely.

"J! Hi, sweety!" Myra hugs the girl in my t-shirt as she walks down the stairs.

Yeah, I could get used to that. Was my mouth open? Please don't tell me my mouth was open.

Alden nudged my side, wiggling his eyebrows and I pushed him lightly as he walked to go greet J.

Alden, Myra and Juliet animatedly converse as the rest of the circus I love with hops in soon.

I mean that in the best possible way, of course. Mostly.

As we sit, crowded around the sofa, Alden begins.

"So, we wanted to talk to you about something." Alden puts his coffee down.

"Where's your dad?" Myra asks offhandedly.

"At work." Parker replies for me.

"Why?" Heath questions.

"Nothing, we just wanted him to be here when we announced this." Myra says excitedly.

"Oof. You're pregnant." Mason comments.

Max rolls his eyes. "That's biologically impossible. Two Gods can't procreate."

This is the first time I'm seeing Alden glowing like this, out of the 5, maybe 6, times I've seen him.

What I've realized is that you don't have to know someone for all your life or meet them everyday for them to be your good friend.

"What is it?" Scar's patience runs short.

Alden and Myra exchange a gleeful look. "We're getting married!"

Silence.

Then everyone bursts into cheers.

"Congratulations!" Val and J hug Myra, practically jumping.

The M&Ms congratulate Alden on growing a pair and we all fall into excited and animated conversations.

J's cheeks are glowing at the mention of marriage.

Marriage.

I'd marry her, any day, if she'd have me. I know I messed up. But I can make it right. I keep telling myself to fight for her but then I remind myself she wouldn't like that. She would want space.