Chapter 38: I Just Needed The Mop

S C A R

"That was so obviously my sandwich," Heath argues, his eyes storming up, much like the sky which drowned in the clouds it didn't have the strength to uphold.

"Well, it's in my stomach now," Parker mockingly flips Heath off.

Thunder and lightning strikes up in the sky above us.

"Calm down," I warn Heath. "You'll bring a freaking thunderstorm down on us."

He scoffed. "Look who's talking, there was heavy rain and lightning last night, someone was upset."

I roll my eyes and Max cuts in. "Yeah it smelled like rain, though, so it was fine."

"It smelled like too much rain. We've talked about this. Remember? Smelling something so much that you smell the smell out of the smell?" Mason retorts as we enter the school building.

"I'm gonna abandon you idiots now," I run to Jenny, who's walking towards her locker.

"Hey," I greet.

She looks up at me, her hazel eyes striking as her lips quirk. "Hey."

She opens her locker, switching up a few books. The tension between us is tough to describe. What we did that night was not a mistake. I'm attracted to her and she's attracted to me.

She shuts her locker and is quick to walk away from me.

"Running away from your problems?" I tease.

She laughs, looking at me. "I'm sure you can teach me how."

She's walking quick, but I keep up easily.

"I don't regret what happened that night. I hope you don't either," I say lowly and this slows her down.

She looks at me, internally debating on what to say to me now. She pulls my arm, leading me to the side, near the janitor's closet.

"Look, it wasn't my first. I just-" she pauses, looking at me with those eyes that I find it hard to focus.

"You just haven't had much opportunity and now that you do, you're confused about what you want. I get it," I say, trying not to think about all the things we did that night.

She bites her lip, uncharacteristically nervous. "Maybe I know what I want."

I smirk slightly. "And what's that?"

"We're just friends, and that too barely," she reminds.

I nod, stepping closer. "Okay."

Her arm is brushing against mine and I can feel her trying not to touch me. Her eyes don't leave mine.

"It was a one-time thing," she whispers, unconvincingly, the hazel in her eyes becoming overpowered by her desire.

I step even closer until our bodies are completely in contact. What are we doing? I don't know.

I don't care.

Bringing her face closer to mine she leads me to the janitor's closet, her hands on my collar.

Leaving her books on the side, she pushes me against the shelf, taking control of the situation.