Chapter 58: Pink Hair

I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once."
- The Fault In Our Stars, John Green.

J U L I E T

"What's with you?" I ask Scar who sits next to me with a dumb smile on his face.

"Nothing," he says, still daydreaming.

"Scar," I drawl.

He looks at me. "Do you think you should forgive someone if they're truly sorry even if they hurt you and the people you love?"

"So, you mean, do I think you should forgive Jenny after everything?"

His eyebrows rise. "I hate it when you act all smart. But yeah, J, I know she's sorry, she sold her bike too, to get money instead of accepting  the money she got from being an informer and she once told me that the bike was the only thing she truly owned that she was proud of."

I smile. "See, she does care about you!"

"J," he shakes my shoulders, "she just told me that she loves me."

What?

"Wh- oh my God, that's great! What did you say?" My voice is loud and brimming with excitement.

His shoulders sink. "Well, you see, I was so surprised that I didn't really say anything."

"Wow, see, I definitely am smarter than you, how did you not know your girlfriend was falling in love with you?!"

"It's easy, trust me. And what do you mean? You're in a weird space with Axel and you're doubting if he loves you, when it's so obvious that a child could tell. And if someone was falling in love with you, you wouldn't know shit!"

I just poke my tongue out at him.

"Well?" I ask.

"Well... what?"

"Do you love her?"

He sighs. "J, what if I'm like my father? Incapable of love and forgiveness."

Hell no.

"If I'm being honest, when you first moved here, I thought you could be-" I say and disappointment paints his features, "-but, I couldn't have been more wrong. Scar, look how far you've come, you're a part of this family. And you are capable of forgiveness. In fact, I think you've forgiven her already and you know that and it scares you and so you won't let you tell yourself how you feel. I have an opinion about how you may feel but I won't let it affect how you're thinking."

He looks at me. "What if I never tell myself how I feel?"

"We all do, all in good time."

"Shit man, I just wanna go to bed now and it's still like 7," he laughs lightly, leaning his head back against the couch, closing his eyes.

"You can go, I'm heading out anyways," I laugh, heading upto my room.

"Where are you going?" he asks.

"Out, with Chase, I'll just go put on something decent."

"Don't look too sexy, poor Chase won't be able to handle it," he teases.

"Shut up!" I yell from the stairs and I can hear him laughing.

***

"I'm late, I know, I know, sorry," I run down my porch stairs to see Chase waiting, leaning against his car, scrolling through his phone.