Chapter 34: Don't Mess With The Guy That Can Control Fire And Water

A X E L

"You're sure I don't look stupid?" Alden asks for the umpteenth time.

"It's a classic tuxedo. You can't go wrong with that," Max says, dealing with the invitations.

"None of you guys know how to tie a bowtie?! Useless groomsmen." Den (a nickname, quite obviously given by Mason and Parker) is freaking out now.

"What? Your special fire and water powers can't tie a bowtie for you?" Scar teases and Heath high-fives him, laughing.

The water in Scar's glass suddenly splashes on his face and Alden smiles sweetly at him, earning the middle finger.

Parker laughs, "Don't mess with the guy who can control fire and water, man."

The door bell rings and Mason practically runs to it. "The Chinese food! Finally!"

"Relax," I calm Alden down. "Let me ask the girls if they know anything about this sorcery."

I call Juliet and she picks up on the third ring.

"Hey," she greets happily and I hear Valerie and Myra excitedly screaming in the background.

Jo, a Henchman.... Henchwoman? Anyway, she's another bridesmaid, a good friend of Myra's and I can hear her telling them to shut up.

"Do any of you know how to tie a bowtie?" I ask and Alden shuffles up and down nervously, biting his lip.

"Why can't you just buy a ready-made bowtie?" She laughs and I'm really trying not to imagine her in a Maid of Honor dress.

"It's tradition!" Den grabs the phone from my hand.

Mason walks in, "Can I talk to Val?"

"Use your own phone, cheapo," Heath shows his tongue to the person in question.

"Guys, shush. Alden is on the phone," Max reprimands.

"It's just J. She's seen the worst of us," Scar snorts.

This was chaos. Hours before the wedding and look at us. We're all idiots waiting at my place. The girls were at the wedding designer's store, getting final touches done.

"Thank you so much, J!" Den hangs up, sighing in relief. "She knows how to do it, she'll help me out at the wedding."

"Can we get ready and get going now? I have to work on some final things," I begin to push everyone out of the room to get dressed.

It's show time.

***

J U L I E T

"It's your wedding day! I refuse to talk about my relationship!" I say as we're all getting our manicures done.

"Oh come on," Jo, my new friend says. "We need some tea!"

Val nods vehemently and Myra giggles, sipping on her coffee.

"Myra, you've been waiting for this day for how long now...?" I change the topic.

She laughs, "80 years."

All our jaws drop. "80 years?!"

"Alden is a slow guy, okay?! Big wimp," the bride-to-be exclaims.

Yeah, tell me about slow guys, please.

When we're done with out manicures, as the Maid of Honor, I run to get everyone ready.

"My flower tiara!" Myra exclaims.

"What?"

"I left it at your house!" she's panicking.

"Don't worry," I rub her shoulders. "I'll go get it."

"But then, when will you get ready?!" Val asks.

"I'll figure it out. I'll take the dress with me and meet you at the venue, okay?" I rush to Axel's jeep with the keys (I told him I could manage, but he forced me to take it) as everyone yells a quick 'bye' to me.

***

"Please start!" I'm begging the car, I've been trying to get Axel's jeep to work for the past 10 minutes. I even called everyone but no one's picking up.

It took me a fairly short time to get ready. For the first time in a long while, I was finally feeling myself.

The color of my dress danced between a light purple, lilac and grey. Elegant silver flowers embroidered around my cleavage, decreasing in amount as they ran down my torso, until the dress ended, it's backside being a couple inches longer than me, thus running on the ground.

The sleeveless lace dress easily allowed me to drive the car.

Only problem?

The car!

"Do you need some help?" a voice startles me, chuckling lightly.

I look out the window. "Chase! You scared me."

"Sorry, I couldn't help it. Jeep not working?" he opens my door.

"Yeah, and I really need to get to this wedding."

He eyes me up and down, shamelessly.

"You could be subtle about it," I chide.

He lips quirk up, his eyes not leaving mine. "Where's the fun in that?"

"Can you help me or not?" I push him backwards, laughing in an attempt to hide my blush.

"Why don't I drop you? I'm meeting someone in half an hour, I could drop you and come back," he offers.

"Really?"

He nods and holds my hand, helping me get out of the car in this long-ass dress.

Alright, let's get to this wedding.