Chapter 36: Break Your Ass

J U L I E T

I won't lie and say I'd never thought about marrying Axel before. Of course, it terrified me. I'm so young. I can't be this sure of what I want.

But when it comes to him, I know. I just do.

And the way he moves, in sync with my movement, twirling me on the dance floor, proves it.

His green eyes shine in the light, "I'd do something more complicated, but with your clumsiness, I'm sure you'd fall and break your ass."

His tone is light and teasing and I miss this version of us.

"It's okay," I laugh. "Let's keep it simple."

He nods, pulling me closer. "We always have," he mutters.

"Do you mind if I get a dance?" Scar's voice interrupts.

"I don't know," Ax jokes.

"I wasn't asking you," Scar bumps his shoulder into Axel's, moving him over.

I never understand them. They're at each other's throats but God forbid they don't see each other for a day.

Smiling and shaking his head, Axel takes a leave.

As we slowly waltz around the dance floor, Scar speaks.

"When will you tell him?"

I sigh. "I don't know."

"You have to tell him, he deserves to know," Scar reiterates.

"I know," I admit. "It's just, saying it to him... will make it so real. And I'll just have to accept that I'm gonna die."

He narrows his eyes. "I won't let you die."

I offer a small smile. "We don't even know what's happening to me."

He looks like he might say something but changes his mind. "Are you feeling any better?"

No. "A little."

He shakes his head. "Don't lie to me."

After a moment, I let out a breath. "I don't know. Some times I feel like I have no energy and I'll just pass out. The shivering and shaking is getting worse."

Scar looks away. "I don't know if I might have something, it's a lead. I want to check it out. But look, as much as I hate that asshole, he loves you so, so much. And I don't want you to break his heart when it's much worse and it's evident. He deserves to hear it from you."

"I'll tell him tonight, when we go home." I purposely ignore the lead he mentioned. I refuse to get my hopes up again just for the universe to crush it out.

He looks at me, his stormy gray eyes helpless. "I'm sorry."

"What for?"

"I wish I knew what to do."

"If it helps, I never know what I'm doing," I lighten the mood.

He smiles, rolling his eyes. "Now that I know."

***

Soon, the wedding is over and after a teary Myra hugs me and thanks me, Alden surprisingly gives me a kiss on the forehead, thanking me for everything.

I look at the newlyweds go, realizing how much of an impact they've had on our lives (quite literally being the reason we're alive).

As we reach home, I'm terrified. I don't know how he's going to react but I've kept this from him for too long. I have to tell him.

I don't know how I expect him to react, if he told me he was dying, I'd lose it, I'm sure.

An hour later or so, when only Axel, Parker, Scar and I are in the living room, I begin to shed light on the topic.

"Hey, Ax. I need to talk to you," I fidget with my hands.

He looks at my hands, aware of how nervous I am. "Yeah, sure."

Scar and Parker exchange knowing looks and ask me if they should leave, but I say no, I need a support system to be here.

Axel looks at me gently, patiently, giving me the luxury of speaking at my own pace.

I just don't want to hurt him. But we all have to do things we don't like.