Chapter 35: Holy-

A X E L

Where is she?

On the fiftieth fricking ring, she picks up her cell. "Hey."

"Where are you?" I ask.

"Just walking in now. The Jeep wasn't working, I had to get a ride," she explains.

"With who?"

"Chase," her tone is hesitant.

Of fucking course.

"Just get here quick, Myra's freaking out. You good?"

"Yeah I'm good, I'll see you there," she hangs up.

A second later, Scar comes in texting on his phone.

"Can you and Jenny go an hour without talking?" I tease.

"Is someone jealous because the girl they like isn't theirs anymore?" he teases back, taking a sip of his whiskey.

I grab his drink, taking a sip. "Shut up."

"Hey," Juliet's small voice causes me to turn around.

Holy-

I literally spit the whiskey back into the glass.

It takes me a second to respond because my brain wasn't really functioning.

"Um, ya, hey..." I'm staring.

I have to stop staring.

In a second, I tell myself.

She tucks a strand of hair behind her ear, her eyes wide. "Don't tell me it's that bad."

"No. No. No," I rush. "You're amazing. I mean, it's amazing. It's just, everything is amazing."

I am so stupid. How can someone be this stupid?!

She laughs, her cheeks reddening. "Come on, you're the Best Man, I'm the Maid of Honor, walk me down the aisle. Music's about to begin."

"Uh, yeah," I turn around to give the glass to Scar who wiggles his eyebrows.

He gives J a quick hug. "You look beautiful, J."

Just then Parker comes in. "Who are you? Where's my Squirt?" he jokes.

"Shut up," J pulls me into position, laughing.

The serene violin music fills the air, and the guests settle in. After a few bridesmaids walk with our friends, it's our turn.

As we walk down with the aisle, I can see Juliet trying not to fiddle with her dress.

"Relax, you're doing good," I assure and she just laughs.

After a beat, I whisper. "You look beautiful."

And she looks up at me, the color of a tomato now. "Thanks, you too."

I laugh. "I look beautiful?"

Embarrassed, she nods.

"Thanks, I thought you'd never say it," I tease to end her misery.

Unfortunately, the aisle comes and I have to leave her to stand behind Alden, who looks nervous.

"Calm down," I tell him before I stand behind him.

"I don't know how to!" he whisper-yells.

I see Myra come into view.

"Your bride's here," I smile.

He turns around and they look at each other. Everything they've been through, amounting to this single, beautiful and magical moment. And just like that, he's calm.

Throughout the ceremony, I keep thinking about how one day, if I'm lucky, I could have this with the girl standing a few feet away from me.

I'm staring at her, I know it, she knows it. I can practically feel her trying not to look at me, too.

I don't care what dress she's wearing. She could be in her cupcake pajamas for all I care (maybe this is preferred, sorry, off topic). But one day, I want this with her.

I smile at the thought.

When the ceremony ends, and the bride and groom can't take their hands off of each other on the dance floor, I admire the decorations, the strings of flowers a few feet above us, the golden lights, the ambience.

Parker and J dance across the floor and no longer able to contain myself, I cut in.

The first minute, we let the music keep us swaying and I try not to focus on how she looks at anything but me and doesn't move when my hand is constantly on her waist.

"You love this song, don't you?" I ask when Never Let Me Go by Florence + the Machine comes on.

"Can't go wrong with this one," she smiles, finally looking into my eyes.

"Did you like the ceremony today?"

Her eyes light up and I don't know what I did to get that reaction, but I have to do it again. "I loved it. It was so beautiful, they look so in love."

I tug at her waist, pulling her closer. "One day, I want to see you walk down the aisle, with me waiting for you on the other end," I admit.

Her cheeks flush. "Uh, I..."

I laugh, "If you want that too, obviously."

She looks at me like I'm stupid. "Of course, I want that with you."

Now I just can't contain the grin on my face, I'm trying, I swear. It won't work.

She said she wants to marry me.

"Yeah?" I ask, probably looking like an idiot because of how much I'm smiling.

"Yeah," she smiles too, the golden flecks in her chocolate eyes highlighted by the lighting.

I move her body with mine and listen to this song that she's been so obsessed with for years.

The arms of the ocean are carrying me.

And all this devotion was rushing out of me.

She leans her head against my chest and holy-

And the crashes are heaven, for a sinner like me

She looks up at me smiling, and I finally understand what this line means to me.

But the arms of the ocean delivered me

Yeah, they did. They really did.