Poor, Poor Soul

Third Person P.O.V

The doctor and the mask sat down, the doctor pulled out a new journal, one he hadn't written in before. "Tell me what's wrong, you can skip out on a few details if you want to..." The doctor said softly. The mask just nodded. "So, where do you want to start?" The doctor asked.

"I don't know."

"Well, let's start with something that is the least painful for you to remember."

"When you pushed me in the closet."

"Alright."

The mask started to explain what he felt, what he saw and why he did what he did. Sometimes he ended up crying, and sometimes he stopped mid-sentence. But the doctor still listened, taking down notes in the journal while also comforting the mask. It worked for a while, until the mask got to the part where he 'died.' The mask stopped speaking and he started to cry again. The doctor brought the mask into a hug. "It's okay, you don't have to talk about this part." He said.

"It's not that, it's what happened after." The mask said between sobs. The doctor was confused. "What do you mean?" He looked down to the mask. The mask had to stop his crying before he spoke.

"After I... Died, I woke up somewhere, it was like a void." The mask explained. "I couldn't see anything." He leaned away from the doctor. "But it still hurt! I could still feel the pain!" The doctor didn't say a word, he knew that something happened after death, but he could never find out from his own patients since they were mindless zombies. "I know it was only a couple days but it felt like I was trapped there for years!"

The doctor didn't say anything, he just kept quiet, letting the mask cry. "What if..." The mask paused. "What if I deserved it?" The doctor resisted the urge to yell at the mask about how much he didn't deserve it, how unfair it was for him to say that, but the doctor controlled himself. "Mask..." He spoke as soft as he could. "You didn't deserve that, nobody deserves that."

"But how do you know that?"

Those words instantly stung the doctor. "I'm not a good person, doctor! I've killed people! I've manipulated people to do bad things, I've done horrible, horrible things doctor!" The mask cried. "I've burned an entire library, I've tried to take control of a king! Hell, I helped destroy Greece! And all for what? Nothing!"

The worst part about what the mask had just said was the fact that it was true, and deep down the doctor knew it. But it still hurt. However, the doctor had to grasp to his last hope. He remembered all the times the mask had done good things, even if they did end in disaster, the mask still had good intentions. Even if he did cause the death of people, it wasn't like he meaned to, right?

"Mask," the doctor spoke up after an uncomfortable amount of silence. "I know it's hard, but you didn't deserve that, you've done good things, you had good intentions, even if you did fail. I remember you once took control of a corrupt man who stole from the poor, just so you could destroy the party he was holding. Then you killed him. I remember the next morning, when most of the townsfolk were happy because he died! They could afford to eat because of you!"

"But does the good out weigh the bad, doctor?"

"Think back to the library, mask, after you burned it, did you feel bad? Did you regret it?"

The mask slowly nodded, not saying a word. "You changed, mask." The doctor moved the mask's face up to his. "You didn't deserve it."