Chapter 18

049's P.O.V

I had managed to convince the mask to at least sit outside. But all he did was stare at the ground. At this point I was just waiting for him to calm down, so that he could tell me what happened. But I didn't even know if he wanted to say anything at this point.

"Mask, I'm here if you need me, okay?" I said, trying to comfort him. He stared blankly at the ground. "Mask?" I said again before reaching out to touch him on the shoulders. "Huh?! Uh yeah..." He said. "Mask... Please tell me what happened." I said. He took in a deep breath before speaking. "I had a nightmare... About..." He paused. "It's okay, take your time." I said. "... She... Found me again. And she... She burned you...! And I... I was stuck... I couldn't save you...!"

He started breaking out into sobs again, he hugged me again. "Shhhhh.... It's okay mask, I'm right here." I said, hugging back. I knew who 'she' was. The way mask spoke about her, she was horrible, someone who haunted him since the times of ancient Greece. The one who he tried his best to kill, but he failed. She always came back.

The mask only hugged harder and his grip grew tighter. "Doctor... Please... Don't leave me..." He said in between sobs. "I won't. Not again. Never again..." I replied. I don't know how long we were out there, just hugging, but the sun started to rise. We had been awake all throughout the night. The mask had stopped crying some time ago. The sky was now a beautiful color of purple, pink, orange, and many others colors that I couldn't even begin to count.

It was nice, not having to do anything, not having to worry about anyone, not having to operate or be stuck in a cage. Just sitting there. Relaxing. Looking at all of this scene blooming in front of me, it reminded me of a song I once heard. I started humming the melody to it, even if it was impossiblable old and even if I couldn't remember most of the melody. The mask seemed surprised, but he listened nonetheless.

Everything was beautiful...

Everything was nice...

Everything was perfect...

(Apologies for the shorter chapter! Kind of losing a bit of inspiration, but I'll keep updating this as soon as I can!)