Of Sadness and Regret

Third person P.O.V

The doctor collected everything he could. Everything that was important, or valuable, he took. He knew that the foundation would be here soon, so he knew he had to be quick. Quickly, the doctor grabbed his tools, aswell as some papers, stuffing them into his bag. He did not have to worry about running out of room, since his bag was infinite.

He rushed out the door as soon as he finished grabbing his things, and he ran. He ran til his legs started to hurt, til he felt like his legs were just going to fall off. He was out of breath. But he forced himself to keep walking. It came to a point where the trees started to look the same, he felt like he had passed by the same flower many times. Everything was starting to become a blur.

But, he still walked. Even if he did feel like he could fall over and pass out. He wasn't sure what was pushing him to go so far, to push him past his limits. He had done so in his work, but usually he wasn't so worried when it came to the foundation. After all, he could get test subjects there, if there was a breach, that is. But even then breaches were quite frequent. But maybe it was just because his heart was aching. Because he didn't want to see those guns and armored men.

Even if it was bad for his own health, he kept going.

Then, he collapsed. He didn't move, just laying there for a while. He didn't want to move now. Eventually, with a sigh the doctor rolled on his back and sat up. He gently took his bag, and started to dig through it, looking for something. He pulled out a porcelain mask. It was cracked in half, the doctor felt only sorrow when he looked at it. He could feel his eyes start to water as he looked at the mask.

A tear rolled down his cheek and landed on the ground. And another. And another... Until eventually he was sobbing uncontrollably. No words could describe how much he just wanted to speak to the mask, if only for a minute, to tell him so many things. When the mask first confessed, when the mask said those three words, the doctor could feel his entire body freeze, his cheeks lit up like fireworks. He couldn't respond until it was already too late.

The doctor could say 'I love you' till he was blue in the face and it would never bring back the mask. The doctor could try to preform surgery, but a mask is a mask. It would never work. He knew no one who could fix the mask, and if he did they would be long dead. The doctor's entire world had just been shattered, and he barely even knew what his world actually was, until it was too late. He thought his purpose, his very existence was to cure the world of the pestilence, but now, with his world in his hands, his world was corrupted with pestilence.

Even the mask had succumbed to the pestilence.

The doctor held his world close, even if it was filled with pestilence, and weeped. That moment was stuck in his mind, it played like a broken record. He could remember every last bit of what happened. Down to when the mask said 'I love you.' Eventually, the doctor could no longer stay awake, darkness began to close around his vision, and he fell asleep.