I glance sideways at Crystal, who is trying very hard not to laugh, then at the secretary whose eyes are widening in understanding.

"I see, and Mister Carter, do you corroborate this story?" she asks to the guy who nods frantically.

"Well then," she says, pinching her lips, "Miss Thomas, you can thank your friend for her helpful contribution in the matter. Because of her, it seems like you won't be going to detention this time."

Crystal sends me a shy smile before the secretary dismisses us both and we walk outside her office as fast as we can. As soon as we're out of sight, we burst into the biggest fit of laughter, holding our stomachs as we chuckle.

"Did you see her face?" Crystal howls, clutching her side as we run down the stairs, "She's going to think I have diarrhea problems!"

"I know!" I laugh, wiping my teary eyes.

The absurdity of it all is what makes the situation hilarious.

"And – and Lucas was just standing there and not saying anything!"

We laugh some more, standing in the middle of the staircase until our giggles die and we just stare at each other, smiling.

"Hey, but really, what were you doing with Lucas in the boy's bathroom?" I ask Crystal and she loses her grin, eyebrows creasing.

She seems reluctant to tell me, like she was hoping to keep this detail a secret.

"I – I was just curious. He gave me a note in Spanish class telling me to meet him there at that precise time."

I suddenly become serious. Lucas is part of the football team and has the physique of a Greek god but is known to be a perfect impersonation of the fuckboy stereotype, using-up girls like toys to then toss them away and calling them sluts.

"Crystal..." I begin, my concerned expression making her roll her eyes.

"Please, just – Just don't. I know what I'm getting into."

Her tone is definitive, yet she crosses her arms on her stomach in an almost defensive way.

"Do you?" I ask, "What about Theresa and Rachel, you know what happened to them after they started hanging out with him, I just don't want something like that to happen to you too."

One got cheated on with the second, who soon found out her new boyfriend had leaked her nudes to some other guys in the football team. With no proof and no witness willing to come forward, her only option had been to transfer school so they would stop harassing her about the mole on her left nipple.

Crystal shakes her head dismissively.

"Those bitches were lying; those are just stupid rumors. He's different with me."

"I really don't like him," I tell her, taking a step forward, "He has a bad vibe... please be careful."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," she scoffs before going down the stairs fast, leaving me behind.

I sigh, watching her blonde bob bounce at every step she makes, a bit bothered by her careless attitude towards this guy, who I know isn't who she thinks he is.

"You're a good friend," a grave voice suddenly says above my head and I jump, startled as I look up.

One floor above, leaning against the handrail, Taehyung is peering down at me, his amber eyes inquisitive as he stares me down.

I ignore the jolt of my heart, lodging itself somewhere in my throat at the sight of his angelic face, and instantly frown, irritated to find him spying on me.