Chapter One-Hundred

"I met this nice young boy the other day.. His name is Adjo, very thin but he has a strong heart. Anyway, he has a sister and her name is Afia. She has AIDS and I can tell she is in the late stage and won't live for much longer... I-I gave her some medicine though-" I start to shake, feeling shy that I'm telling Mia all these things.

Mia has HIV, you know.. I'm not sure if she's sensitive about it or not. 

"It's okay, Michael. Go on." She quietly says.

I sigh. "She was very grateful. She kept telling me she didn't need it, that it was too late. To be honest, I'm doing this for her but for the little boy especially. He was so heartbroken because she is all he has left.. It has me thinking, Mia.. What is going to happen to Adjo when Afia dies? He can't take care of himself, he's only a boy! His whole situation has me thinking about life itself, Mia. A lot of African women and men have AIDS and it just kills them everyday because they don't have access to medication and an education like we do. It's not fair at all. We're so selfish and it angers me a little." I take a deep breath, sighing loudly.

"I understand, Michael. Hearing this, I'm angry too. I'm proud of you for giving Afia more life. That's such a beautiful thing for you to do, babe. I love that. I wish I was there to see it all." Mia's sweet voice rings in my ear.

I couldn't help but grin to sound of her voice.

"I have an idea but I'm not sure if everyone will agree with me on it.." I bite my lip.

"Like what, baby?" Mia questions.

"When the time comes and Afia is taken away by God, what if..." I take a deep breath.

Please say yes, Mia. "What if we adopted Adjo?" I suggest.

Mia gasps. "Michael, I- Um.."

"You don't have to decide now, you have a few days to. Adjo doesn't have anywhere else to go, Mia! No other family. I've been told he spends his days alone or taking care of his sister. He's a great kid, Mia! Imagine what we can give to him. If I could, I'd adopt all children in the world but I can't. We talked about kids last year and since you won't be able to have kids anymore, what if we adopt? Adjo will soon be a child in need. He doesn't have an education. I don't want him to grow up by himself." I say.

Mia sighs, "I love that idea, Michael... Just give me a while to think about that, okay?" Mia softly says.

I frown, "Alright." I say.

"Don't tell Adjo anything until I say something, alright?" She says.

I smirk, "Alright, I won't."

"Adopting a child won't be so easy, Michael. It's a very long process." She says.

I nod, "I know, I know." I frown.

"It'll be worth it though. He'll have two more sisters and have a childhood. He'll have a great time in Neverland!" I grin.

Mia chuckles, "I think anybody you bring to Neverland will have a great time, Michael!" I can practically see her smile just by the tone of her voice.

"How is April doing?" I ask.

Mia sighs. "She's better. Actually, she's much better than yesterday. I'm very proud of her. She misses you and Rose a lot though.." She says.

I frown, "We miss you both a lot, honey.." I sadly say.

"Hey, speaking of Rose.. She was telling me that a few weeks ago you held onto her and just cried?" I blurt.

"Is that true, Mia?" I ask.