Life's Given Task

"It was twenty men against one!" Jed boasts, sweeping his hands dramatically and striking into the air. The children gasp and awe, clapping excitedly. "I cut them down with ease, striking this way and that!" He explains leaping up high into the air drawing a dagger, he slashes into the sky. And the children cheer. I'm not sure who is more excited about his tall tale, the children or Evanora.  

I watch her silently, she was a beautiful woman, but Mage's have  a knack for making themselves look younger than they actually are. She could be over one hundred years old and we would never know. I wasn't about to trust her yet. Trust has been a challenge for me lately. Ever since we cleansed Emeriss from its taint, I have been doubting everyone... including myself. I hope over time things settle down and we all come together as a fellowship, as the strongest circle of warriors, like Revish and his brotherhood, who took on gods and demons, together as one to combat their enemies. Only time will tell what our futures hold...

"Is that how the story went, father?." Her soft voice calls from behind us. The room becomes silent as Brianna walks in wearing a blood red evening gown, made of sheer light fabrics aside from her bodice. Lace lined the top of her breasts and trailed down her arms. Thicker fabric sweeped to the floor bound around her wrists with gold cuffs. Then I noticed her crown, something I was not used to seeing her wear.  It was woven into her hair and made of gold, lined with red rubies. She held such ethereal beauty, I can barely contain myself. She walks in gracefully nodding at guards and men as she goes by.

I stand and approach her, she smiles warmly and takes my hand.
"Hey handsome."

I kiss her cheek and whisper in her ear.
"You look radiant, Brianna."

"So do you,Vance." She replies. "I'm starving!"

I laugh.
"Food is coming. Come sit with me. There is some fruit and wine we can snack on."

I lead her to where everyone else is sitting and the room becomes lively again as Jed continues his tall tale to the children.

"Let me tell you all the tale of Queen Brianna, summoner of dragons!" Jed winks at her.

She smiles, laughing quietly.
"Keep it child friendly father." She replies.

The children gasp and plead for Jed to start.

Everyone in the dining area was situated on the floor around large round tables that were barely a foot tall. There were luxurious pillows and cushions that lined the tables which we all took our seats on. To my side was GoGo and Revish, to Brianna's side was Harold, Grim, and Evanora. Kit and Garrett, who seem to be hitting it off well, are sitting across from us, although Brianna has caught Kit's attention in full now. I sigh in annoyance.

Kit has always been my best man, no one has ever come between us, not anyone... until now. I know I shouldn't care so much about his feelings for Brianna, but I had always been envious of Kit. Everyone flocks to him, he was always that fun and charismatic man anyone in the room wanted to be around. He has no enemies, and could get along with anyone who crossed his path. When it came to women, if I weren't a prince, Kit would have had all the attention and I would have come in second best. He was skilled in almost anything he did, I swear if he held any type of magic he would even surpass my father's mage Gwendolyn. He could cook, clean, run any type of machine, his battle tactics were just, and his love for family and being a part of one was something to cherish from him. He loved children, and always wanted several of his own. As for me, I am not all that interested in family aspects, yes I would like to have children, but maybe just one.

Kit was the best of the best in almost everything, his only flaw would be his disinterest in formalities and "dressing up" as he called it. He hated uniforms or anything that restricted movement, despite how good he looked in it. He was a very practical man, everything he owned or wanted had a purpose and use. Maybe that is why he never settled for any women around the palace. He always said, "They aren't my type." Or, "She is just a pretty face."