A Frozen Army

Fear; a mixed emotion of dread and reverence that has become so common for her these days. If it weren't for Roan she would have forgotten how to feel anything else. The exact cause of it is well...it is many things, but in this moment, right now, it is the resurrection of decaying bodies and half demon beasts Thanatos has had her summon.

She stands in a darkened waste land just outside the walls of Lesteros. As they burned the forests and filled the rivers with tainted blood, that was when she began to feel it. Absolute terror in her heart which brings what is left of her that is human, to her knees. The beasts and mindless bodies begin to move in front of her. She lets out a small cry, a cry for help, a cry to the gods. But they can't hear her anymore, they have given up on her long ago.

Her sacrifice to the summoning was just, but it also took a large amount of mana from her son who lays beside her on the ground motionless.  She stares at him for a moment waiting for his chest to rise and fall. Seconds go by, and she clutches her hooded robe in anguish. Finally a cold breath escapes his lungs puffing out into the open air.

"Thank god." She whispers as her hands relax. "Jewel, have the guards take him back to the castle to rest. We will restore his mana tonight."

"Yes my queen." She replies and nods to the guards beside me. They move, in uniform steps with no emotion attached, as if they are only capable of following through with orders given. Their minds have been taken from them, and so have their souls. They linger in the afterlife no longer on this earth, for they have been ripped from their bodies by the demon king himself. But her mind has been spared, thankfully. Yet she fears once she has completed her duties Thanatos will take the rest of her and Roan with him, leaving them as mindless as these sickly bodies standing before her.

She sweeps her eyes over them, a thousand white washed eyes stare at her waiting for her command. She raises her hand, the beastly creatures shriek and the dead cry out. They are hers now, an army of the dead, but this wasn't what she thought it would be. She wanted power to her own army, the red army, but instead she was given these hideous creatures of death. Her realm is no longer a realm for the living.

She turns, looking back over her kingdom which used to shine bright against the setting sun. But there is no light here, only a cold lonely darkness that has crept through the valley. Thick black clouds roll over the vitiated sanctuary, and snow has dusted the land around it. Ice has filled its moats and anything that held life is now dead or dying. It is cold, very cold. She thinks as a tear falls down her cheek.

An icy wind picks up sifting snow around her, freezing her tears in place. She clutches her crimson robe again pulling the hood over her head. She watches her guards carry Roans body through the snow and takes out her orb. Holding it out in one hand she recites the incantation.

"God of night, god of darkness, hear me now!"

Her orb begins to glow with a green light, inside a green flame encircles itself and a small portal opens in the center. She peers into it until she sees red eyes. The orb speaks.

"Is it done?" Thanatos asks.

"Yes my king. One thousand of your soldiers successfully resurrected." She replies

"Good. Are the sacrifices ready?"

"Yes." She replies and lowers her eyes. A feeling of guilt washes over her.

"How many!?"

"Five hundred."

"Good... Roan has become quite useful. How long until his mana is restored?"

"Tonight." She says painfully.

"Good. We will need him for my summoning." He replies.

"What happens to him after the summoning?"

He laughs at her. "That is NOT what YOU need to worry about. Do your duties, and I will reward you as promised. Has Khaleda, Unoilla, and Isotora allied with us yet?"

"Khaleda is allied with us, Unoilla has allied with Ashura and Isotora has been..challenging." She replies. "They are suspicious and after Emeriss fell to that mage, they are wanting to distance themselves from any war that is to come."

"Hmm...it seems they need some persuading. War will come to them whether they like it or not, we need them on our side. If you have to do it yourself so be it."

"Yes my king."

"I had words with Brianna." He says. Her right eye twitches slightly and a snarl tugs on her lips." It is unfortunate you have failed in keeping her here in our grasp. She loves another you know."

"Another? Who?"

"There is an Oracle that watches you and I. She is from the realm of Ashura. She is pledged to the king Seriphus Cyr and it is his son that has Brianna's heart."

"No! That can't be!"

"It is! It seems your failure is still causing more destruction than we anticipated. She has conquered Emeriss and will conquer Ashura and Unoilla now. You MUST ally with Isotora! Their army is the largest of the realms and will give us the advantage that we need! Do NOT fail me again!"

"Yes my king."

"Are you aware she has a dragon and that the stone she carried was its heart?"

Her eyes grow wide. "No my king I had no idea."

"Why do you think I wanted that stone?"

"Your beasts can destroy it can't they?" She asks in a panic, shaking with fear from her failures.

"Any other dragon yes, but this one. I felt its power, and it can only be The Ruler of Dragons, Andai himself."

She gasps. "No.."

"Yes and they have made the dragons pledge. We need Isotora or we will lose this war! Do not waste anymore time. If they don't ally with us willingly,  MAKE them!" He snaps.

"Y-Yes my king." She replies. And with a burst of green light the orbs magic dies out and Thanatos disappears.

A long sigh escapes her as her failures take over her emotions. She begins to break down, falling to her knees, regretting every bit of Thanatos. His love for her has grown stale and cold, and what she thought of him before is fading. But with Roan's soul in his grasp she had no choice but to follow through with his plans or Roan will die . So she gathers her strength and stands tall, she will take Isotora by force if she has to. "Isotora will be mine." She whispers.