The Gladiators

The palace was stunning, with halls of white and turquoise, leafed in silver and gold. Everything seemed to be draped in white fabrics that filled with a warm sea breeze. Every window was situated to let as much light in as possible, even the ceilings were filled with round portals that opened up to the sky. Out of all the castles I have been to this one was the most beautiful.

We approach golden doors engraved with a mermaid holding a trident on each. Vance reaches for the door handle, but stops. He turns to me with fear in his eyes and places a hand on my cheek brushing it with his thumb.

"Bri, the king's son, can be..."

I interrupt him.
"Vance, don't worry, he won't get near me, have faith in my heart."

He smiles at me. "Ok." He replies and reaches for the doors. He pushes them open letting me walk in first.

I walk along oceanic scenes, pirates, the Kraken, mermaids, and storms. Who ever painted these has a unique talent for realistic and intricate art. Even the ceiling had small paintings of angels and gods in it. I stood for a moment in awe, looking around, before my eyes situated on a white throne and the largest man I have ever seen with his son beside him, equal in stature.

"Lady Brianne, what an honor it be to finally meet you. We'ave heard so much about you." The king says with a hearty smile. His accent was interesting and a little hard to understand.

"Thank you King Galen, it is an honor as well." I reply stopping in front of him. Vance stands beside me one hand on the hilt of his secondary weapon and the other hand on my lower back. He is subconsciously protecting me but I need to show some independence here, I turn to him and smile, letting him read my expression to give me room. He gets the point and moves a foot to the right.

"Brianna, you already know me name, this be me son Ryker." He waves his hand towards him to the right. Rudy walks towards me with a smug look on his face.

He was a big man, strong and tall, but not only built with muscle he clearly had a love for drinking as his belly was covered with a thick layer of fat. He had black long wavy hair pulled back, and a long thick beard braided down the middle. He wore silver pauldrons and boots, a turquoise sleeveless tunic with a sigil of a mermaid printed down the front, white pants and a white cape that came to the floor. He towered over me as he approached.

He circles me, making sure to take his time staring at everything he shouldn't.
"A treasure you be." He says as he begins to run the back of his hand down my chest, stopping at the stone. I kindly remove his hand and stare up into his eyes.

"I don't like to be touched." I say quietly.

He glares at me, then glances at Vance who looks ready to stab him in the heart.

"Ryker! Come sit!." The king snaps. He backs away from me then takes his seat by his father's side in his own throne. I let out a long breath I have been holding since I walked into the room and my nerves start to settle. I am still not used to meeting royalty, especially the kind that try to undress you with their eyes.

"King Galen, I would like to thank you for taking care of me and my crew. You have been a welcoming host, I thank you for the flowers sent to my room." I bow slightly.

"Anything for Vance and his lady." He replies. "You be welcome here, as long as you need."

"I apologize for the short visit, but we have matters to tend to and will be leaving in the morning, before dawn." I reply, and the King leans forward, his welcome smile fading.

"You should stay." He says coldly. His eyes stare blankly and he does not blink. "...we like you to stay longer, the common folk would like to meet you and we be hosting the gladiator tournys, starting this Eve."