The Other Side

"Did you find it?!" He snaps.

"Yes....the stone is in Lesterose, guarded by a mage." I reply.

"A mage? Show me!"

I walk over to my father who sits on his throne. I signal my mage to bring her looking glass,
"Shiva." I flick my hand.
She pulls out a clear orb from her robes and holds it in both hands. She chants a spell and the orb ignites inside. She hands it to him and he looks in eagerly. His eyes widen and he smiles from ear to ear.

"Have you seen her Vance?." He looks at me.

"No. But I have been asking around and it looks like she has not made a pledge yet."

He hands the orb back to Shiva and she walks back to me.

"I want that stone and I want that girl." He replies.

"Yes father."

"You will infiltrate the castle and bring her back here with you. She will pledge with you before the war begins." He says.

I look at Shiva, she looks terrified and hurt.

"But father, I am already pledged to Shiva, that bond can't be broken!!"

He looks at Shiva and approaches her running a finger down the side of her cheek. There is a moment of silence before he whispers.
"Forgive me."

He grabs the back of her head, pulling a dagger from his cloak then slits her throat open in front of me. He drops her to the floor and looks at me. I can feel the magic from our bond destroying a part of me as her consciousness slips away.  My breath wavers as my heart breaks for her. I fall to my knees.

"Father..." I whisper. He looks at me with empathy.

"I'm sorry Vance, we do what needs to be done for the greater good! You are now with no mage, you will pledge to this woman, take the stone and become the most powerful knight in all the realms. Not even Roan will be able to challenge you."

"Yes father."

"Now go! We don't have much time. The queen of Lesterose grows stronger every day that stone is in her grasp!"

"Yes father."