The life tree

The pyramid was surprisingly damp inside, which was somewhat refreshing after having crossed the desert plains. It was dimly lit, with flames on top of pillars in various areas. The corridors were an endless maze, twisting and turning, I am sure I would have trouble walking these halls everyday without assistance. I'm not sure how this mage does it.

Gogo and I are led into a large room with Harrett following behind. There is no throne in this room, only intricate carved pillars that stretched to the top of the pyramid, placed in a perfect circle. Above those pillars is the peak of the pyramid with an opening that let the sunlight in. The light bounced off mirrors situated on each pillar, brightening the room entirely with warm light rays. It was beautiful, but the most fascinating part of the room was in its center, which enclosed a willowy tree pooled in crystal blue waters. Out of nowhere water fell from above it, like desert rains, keeping the tree full of life. The tree itself was white barked with red stained leaves and it pulsed with powerful energy, weaving its own magical circuits through the entire rebel camp and out into the desert.

I have never witnessed such natural beauty, I have never felt such warm and welcoming power, I feel at home here. The connection to the earth from this tree is as strong as bearing a dragon's heart. I am drawn towards it...

"Arch mage, is that...a life tree?" I ask.

"Yes you are correct, it is the very source of pure magic. It sprouts from the earth's core, producing the strongest connection to magic and nature itself. The only other connection this pure is a dragon's heart." She replies walking over to the tree. I join her side in awe, taking in all of its magnificence.

Gogo and Garrett stand back a few feet watching us.

"What does it take to grow a life tree?" I ask.

She glances at me.
"Only death can create life. A sacrifice has been made, but not in ill favor. It was a life that would have been taken soon anyways. It put her suffering at ease. May I ask...to see the dragon's heart you hold?"

I hesitate to tell her...
"I-I...am sorry I cannot show you. For I have taken it inside my own heart, combining it to my own magic circuits."

She gasps, one hand covering her mouth.
"Impossible...how?."

"The stone, or dragon's heart, can only be taken at the brink of death. To save the people of Emeriss, I challenged their king and his son. They cut my wrists open and burned me alive, but before I let my soul slip away, I spoke the words and called forth the king of dragons, Andai. He came to me before I died and healed me as I took the heart into myself, bearing its power, now I am one with the dragon."

"You sacrificed your life for the people of Emeriss?" She asks wide eyed.

"Of course! I would do it over and over again if it cleanses the world from evil. We all deserve freedom, peace, and full lives, without fear. Although...half the city ran from me in fear. That part I regret."

"Oh child, my heart goes out to you, and we all thank you for your sacrifice. But I must know, how does one come to bear that dragon's heart?"

"I wasn't always walking the grand halls of castles and palaces. I was a farm hand and a thief, who had come across the book of Lady Caren, in the talons of a raven. That book held the stone, only a descendant of her bloodline can open it.."

"You are... Lady Carens blood?"
She interrupts.

"Yes, I am heir to the throne of Lesteros, ruler of the realms. Although...I would rather be tending to my small farm, then ruling anything..." I laugh, but she only whispers disbelief.

"Was it your mother or father's bloodline?"

"My mother's, but she left us when I was four, I haven't seen her since. As for my father...he raised me and trained me in combat, but he was called to war overseas when I was fifteen. He never returned, and it wasn't until the gladiators tournaments in Emeriss where I found him, shackled and chained, beaten and bruised. They had turned him into a slave, which I still find hard to believe."