Night terrors

Gregory PoV

It has been nearly two weeks since we found the children fending for themselves. The boy has never left my side, not once... and the girl? Well not only can she hunt better than the best of my men, she can set her arrows aflame, and has a unique ability to heal. As for the boys talents, he has been trained in throwing projectiles and can hit a target square in the middle blind folded. When asked where he learned his technique, he told us Brianna had spent many hours playing target games in the summers. They were a unique pair, but the loss of their mother and sister has taken a toll on them. Each suffers from night terrors that only magecraft can break, and each holds a fear for Roan and the queen that nothing can ease. I have made it my duty to keep them safe and raise them to be the fearless fighters I know they are.

There is a small whimper beside me. Immediately I sit up, only to meet the hollow tear filled eyes of the boy. He has never left my side even in sleep, he stares at me breathing heavily. His forehead dripping with sweat, his lips quivering. Even though his eyes are open his mind is in another place, a darker place, tainted with the mark of Thanatos. I jump to my feet.

"I need a mage now!" I shout.

A rustling of boots and Cora comes to my aid. Her expression baring concern.
"He looks awful this time. I'm afraid his dreams may be getting progressively worse, Gregory." She says clutching her robes for comfort.

"Is there anything we can do?"

She sighs. "Possibly, but it would take a strong healer and a large magic source."

"What about his sister?" I ask.

Cora pauses thinking. "She may be able to help, I will go get her."

I keep an eye on Chase, making sure he does not move. It is wise not to touch a child deep in the midst of a night terror, I had done it once, and it had caused more harm than good. The child went into a frenzy, screaming and cursing, fighting for what he thought was his life. I hope one day we can break him of this curse.

Cora and Candice return with some medic supplies and another guard just Incase we need to restrain him.

"Chase?" Candice asks, staring wide eyed at the boy. He says nothing to her only sits on his cot whimpering and shaking.

"I don't know what to do." Candice weeps.

Cora takes her hand and walks her towards her brother.
"Draw your power child, then place your hands on either side of his temples here." Cora taps her temples. "Then recite a prayer, something that only he knows to bring him back. Something familiar Candice."

She looks up at Cora uncertain then nods and steps closer and she begins to sing. A song I haven't heard in many years, not since my mother was tucking me into bed at night. It was a lullaby, a one contradicting unto itself, it had always puzzled me until now. Until this very moment did I realize what the words really meant.

"Hush little one, be frightened not,
The spider has spun, its dreams forgot,
Whisper the shadows, their peeping eyes,
For night has come, I hear your cries,

Hush hush hush
I be with you always
Hush hush hush
I be with you now

Hush little one, be frightened not
For dreams are woven and will be forgot."

The last verse I sang with Candice, as soon as it was finished a great source of light erupted from her hands. She places them onto her brother and holds him tightly in an embrace that could be felt over all of us. There was a purity in the room, and a feeling of static electricity. Candice was a true healer and in this moment she has taken ownership of that.

As the light fades I watch her arms drop, and Life comes back to Chase. His eyes blink twice then look around.
"Candice? What happened?" He asks confused.

"It's ok brother, you're alright, I brought you back from the dream you were in." She replies, placing a loving kiss on his forehead. He takes her hands in his and sheer terror strikes his face.

"I saw something Candice! Where is Sir Gregory?"

"I'm right here son. Tell me what you saw." I reply, taking a seat beside him once again. He leaps into my arms, curling up into a tiny ball. I cradle him gently and wait for his response.

"The queen, and Roan, there was blood that fell from the sky. It goes wherever they go. There was another lady there, she was just as evil with red hair." He explains.

I look up to Cora and we both recite the name.
"Jewel."

"This isn't good Gregory." Cora replies.

I lift Chances chin up to look at me.
"Do you remember where you were, son?"

He squints thinking hard.
"No, but I...was in front of a big castle. There were green flags, I couldn't see anything else, except for snow and blood. It was scary!" He cries and presses his face into the crook of my neck.

"I know, it's ok we have you here. I will keep you safe I promise." I can feel his body tension loosen slightly at my words. But we were far from safe, I knew it, things weren't going as well as planned. If he saw green flags that meant they had made it to Isotora. Damn it!

"We should get some rest, and regroup in the morning with this new information, I will leave this light here for you." Cora replies, lifting her light spark further into the air above us. She then
places a gentle hand on Candice's shoulder. "You may rest with me Candice, if that helps."

She nods and takes Coras hand.
"I'll be just over here Chase, Gregory will be with you too."

But Chase has already drifted off back to sleep in my arms. I lay him back down on the bed and tuck in beside him pulling the covers over. I watch him in the dim light as his breathing slows and he enters the dream state. I pray the rest of our night is quiet.