Into the Desert

"Here...Take this in both hands and say the words;
in this eye, I see the world
In this mind, I learn to speak,
Through this portal, I take hold,
Shall we make this our first meet.
Then look into it." Veda one of our castle mages explains.

"Alright." I take the Mage's orb from her with Brianna examining it closely beside me and recite the words.

"In this eye I see the world
In my mind I learn to speak,
Through this portal I take hold,
Shall we make this our first meet."

I hold the orb out in both hands focussing my mana on the task at hand. The orb begins to glow, and a swirl of clouds in an artificial blue sky appears in the middle of it. We watch it closely, waiting. Minutes go by and nothing changes.

"Are you sure about this? It's taking a long time." I ask, shaking it gently.

"Don't shake it Vance!" She gasps."Be patient."

Several more minutes go by and suddenly I hear an echoing voice come from the center of the clouds. They tumble upon themselves more quickly as the voice becomes clearer to understand.

"Hello? Can you see me?" A female voice calls.

A few more seconds the clouds disappear and Dione my fathers mage, appears in the orb.

"Vance!? Is that you?! Oh my! I've missed that handsome face of yours. How are you? When will you be home? Your father is driving me batty!" She whines.

I chuckle. "I miss you too Dione, Is my father ok?"

She snickers. "No! He's put on at least ten pounds since you left..."

"Hey! I can hear you, witch!" my father hollers in the background.

"Well you haaave!" Dione replies rolling her eyes.

"Oh shut up woman! Who are you talking to?" My father replies pushing his way into view.

"VANCE?! Is that you?!" He shouts, his volume a little too loud causing the crystal orb to ring a high pitched tune. Brianna and I both wince.

"Yes, it's me, father." I smile, relieved to know he's doing fine and yes he has put on weight it would seem.

"OH GOOD, HAVE YOU FOUND THAT MAGE YET?" He asks.

I wince at the volume of his voice once again

"You don't have to yell Seraphis, he can hear you!" Dione snaps in the background.

"Oh ok." And he quiets down.

Brianna is laughing hysterically in silence right now. I let out a frustrated breath, feeling slightly embarrassed by their crude behavior.

"She's right here, want to say hi?" I move the orb over to Bri and she looks into it beaming with excitement.

She gives him a small wave and a heart melting smile. " Hello, Your highness. I see where your son gets his good looks from." She winks.

My father begins to choke on his words.
" Uh...Brianna...it is nice to meet you. And you are right, he most definitely gets his looks from me. Where is it that you get yours from?"

"My mother's side for sure." She replies. "We are happy you are safe and well. We had quite a scare, and so much has happened since we got to Emeriss."

"Ahh yes! I hope you're enjoying your stay there and King Galen is keeping you in good company. We are looking forward to having you here."

I quickly take the orb back from Brianna, not ready for that conversation between the two. It would seem my father has no idea what has happened over the last three days. Brianna stares at me in shock, and I shake my head motioning her not to talk further about it. She cocks an eye at me but respects my actions, thankfully.