Corcoran Pirates

Here I sit in her room, on the chair that stayed by her side through hours of mana shock, staring at the fabric of her sheets. They smell of roses and abandonment, they torment my mind with thoughts of love and desire. But those thoughts are contaminated with anger and desertion now, How could she leave me? Did she not love me? I gave her my heart and she took it and threw it away like the core of an apple.

My hackles have risen to a breaking point, I find myself grabbing the nearest object, throwing it across the room and watching it shatter violently into pieces. The sound pleases me and I take up another piece of Brianna, squeezing it until it crumbles into bits of dust like she did my heart. I repeatedly destroy every part of her that is left in this room until there is nothing but broken dreams and anguish.

"Roan! Please stop! Come talk with me." Mother says. She has watched my entire outburst and so has Jewel, who is hiding behind her gown like a child.

My eyes glare at them both and they take two steps backwards into the hallway. I take a seat on the bed and place my head in my hands.

"Roan, I have been through this before. Your father abandoned me, and left me for someone else. I know the pain you feel." She says and comes to my side. I feel a gentle stroke on my back as she consoles me.

I sigh.
"I spoke with someone, she told me something I could never believe." I look up at my mother whose eyes were so full of empathy and I nearly cry out to her.

"What did they say?". She asks as her empathy transforms into a blank stare.

"She said you are seeking the stone for your own purpose. That if it falls into your hands the realm is in danger." I scoff. So does she.

" Tsk.Tsk. Oh dear, such accusations. That is not what I want at all! I just want you to be happy, love. Who told you such things?" She places a hand on my cheek.

"Her name was Hilda, she is close to Brianna, she lives in an old cabin outside the castle walls." I reply.

"Hilda? Hmmm... I will send someone to speak with her." She lowers her hand and stands, looking at Jewel. They nod at each other.

"There is no need to worry about Hilda anymore, mother." I look down at my hands, visions of red blood stain them. "Someone has already taken care of her."

There wasn't much memory of being at Hilda's house again, I do remember holding her in my arms as blood seeped onto the floor and into the cracks of the wooden boards. The children were terrified, two hiding under the dining table, and one lying on the floor just as bloody as their mother. I don't recall leaving, in fact I don't recall walking into the castle or even to this room. It was all a blur. My pain overtook me, I still wonder who could have done such a thing. I may never know.

"Well we need not worry anymore, you just move on from Brianna. She is evil, and has lied to you! She has taken your heart and ripped it out carelessly. Move on from her and pledge to Jewel. She has always been the one for you Roan."

I look at Jewel who has snuck out from behind her Queen. She smiles at me with that familiar loyal face. My mother is right, she has always been there at every downfall and every moment waiting for me. She would never leave my side, not like Brianna.

"Alright mother I will make my pledge to Jewel. I want it done as soon as possible!" My last words echo like thunder..

Jewel squeals with joy and my mother embraces me proudly. I feel a sense of achievement through all of my pain.

"I am so happy Roan! You have made me so proud. We can pledge tomorrow if you like?"

"The sooner the better!" I reply.