The Queen

I push the tall metal doors open to the room and look around.

"Ah! There he is! Roan come here!." There she sits on her throne wearing her conversational gown and her black five point crown encrusted in orange gems. She looks as radiant as a flower and as stern as an ox. Her chair seemed to give her more power than she actually has. It was said to be made of crystal from the deepest part of the sea. My eyes fall on hers and she glares at me suspiciously, which can only mean she knows I didn't stay in the castle last night. I walk towards her cautiously and she diverts her attention to the five other mages, all female, gossiping beside her. I sigh knowing this "meeting" is going to involve a lot of bickering and time wasting.

"Yes my queen, you wanted to speak with me?" I stop in front of the women. They all hush and stare at me, one mage in particular is looking overly excited to see me. Her name is Jewel, she is one of the strongest mages we have in our arsenal and has always wanted to bond with me. But I find her battle tactics cold and unforgiving, taking lives instead of hostages. I know that it is her duty but there needs to be mercy in the war at some point and she has none. The other mages are from the first order the highest ranking of all the rest, they watch me with careful eyes like they always do, which has always sent shivers down my spine.

"Roan I have chosen a mage for you! You will take your pledge with Jewel. She has proven herself to be an exceptional mage. Since you weren't able to provide me with a mage in the amount of time given to you, this is your pairing." The queen says.

I look at jewel and she blushes, smiling shyly.

"Roan I am honored to fight by your side and be yours for life." She bows to me.

I look at my queen...no....my mother... sitting with a smirk on her face.

"Excuse me ladies I would like to speak to my MOTHER in private." Everyone gasps, including my mother, I glare at her and she glares back. Then she flicks her hand and the women scramble away. I wait for the door to close behind them before getting into it with her.

"I refuse mother, she is not a good match for me." I cross my arms as more of a defense against the wrath that is sure to come.

She sits up and leans forward in her seat.

"You will do as your mother tells you! It is not my concern if you don't like her, you just need to complete your pledge. Do you know the embarrassment I'm enduring by having the highest ranking knight in the castle not bonded with a mage?" She snaps.

"What does that matter? As your son I should be able to choose!" I reply, clenching my fists.

"You were given the opportunity and failed to do so!" She raises her voice.

This angers me and I accidentally let some thunder go causing the room to shake. She sits back in shock.

"I'm sorry mother. I didn't mean to do that." I walk over to her kneeling and place my head in her lap.
"Please give me some time! I have brought someone here with me. She could be the strongest mage in the realm... no...all the realms."

"Oh really? Is that where you were last night?" She lifts my head and looks into my eyes. "It is, are you sure this isn't just a nice set of breasts distracting you from your duties?"

I roll my eyes. "You know I'm not like that. Give her a chance, she needs training but I think she will surprise us."

"Training? Oh Roan we don't have time for that. The army of Darkness is coming. We have maybe a few months left to be ready."

"Mother please! Just meet her and you will see, she carries the Grimoire of Lady Caren."

She gasps. "That's impossible! Are you sure?"

"Yes I've seen it, even read from it. It's bound to her through the bloodline."

She glares at me.
"That doesn't make her a queen Roan, the throne of Lesterose has changed rulers many times since then."

"I know that." I lower my eyes.
She lets out a long sigh.

"Alright Roan, I will give her a chance. But if she doesn't show me something spectacular, you will be pledging with Jewel by tomorrow's eve."

"Thank you mother!" I kiss her hands multiple times.

"Ok, enough!" She laughs. "Go get her! Before I change my mind."

I stand putting a fist to my heart before I take off down the corridor and out the door.