Your Second Mistake

Falling asleep on a ship is like nothing you will ever feel anywhere else. You wake up with the sensation of being rocked to sleep as the ocean floats you up and down and salty air clears your breathing. The sounds of the waves crashing against the bottom of the hull keeps you in your deep sleep throughout the night. I woke up feeling fully refreshed this morning. Like everything is new.

Feeling the warmth of Vance beside me was like a dream, I reveled in it, letting my senses indulge in all its bliss. He stirs beside me as I memorize his features, thick raven hair that he has pulled from his hair tie and it drapes down his bare broad shoulders. I brush my hand over it to feel it's smoothness, and he opens his eyes.

"Hi." I say.

He blinks twice and smiles.
"Hi."

We gaze at each other for a few minutes silently until my stomach interrupts the moment with a loud growl. He bursts out laughing.
"Good morning Brianna's stomach."

I giggle at him.
"She says feed me."

He sits up and salutes me.
"We can't have you hungry, you're sassy enough when you're full."

I sit up with him and slap his arm.
"Oh shush."

"I'll have someone bring you something." He looks out the port window noticing the light shining in. "Looks like we slept in. I am pretty sure I'm late for a crew meeting. Will you and your stomach be ok for a few minutes? Or will I find you have eaten the candles on the table upon my return?"

"Oh shut up Vance!" I say through giggles.
He laughs back at me equally.

"Breakfast sounds good."

"I can have someone bring it to you or you can eat in the dining hall."

"Hmmm...I think I'll go eat in the hall, I'd like to explore a bit too and maybe practice my training up on the deck. Would you like to join me for that? You can bring your Lance"

He bursts out laughing again.

"Train? Like combat training?" He gives me an odd look.

"Mmhm!". I reply. He's looking at the wooden roof boards again smiling wide and laughing to himself. "What's so funny?" I scowl at him.

"Hm? Oh nothing, you're just unreal. If I were to picture the woman of my dreams it would be you. And I've already dreamt of you once...."

"You've dreamt of me? Good dreams I hope." He really is crazy over me.

"Very, very good dreams." He replies. He gets up off the bed and finds his pants. "I actually have a meeting with the captain and some crew and it will take quite awhile. We need to talk about the trip back home. It's going to take about a week to get there, we need to figure out the best course to avoid the storms. But if you want to train I suggest the upper deck. It's usually empty." He is fully dressed now. I come to the side of the bed sitting on my knees with my hands in my lap. I sweep my hair to the side thinking about training in my dress and how difficult it will be. I realize he has stopped and is eyeing me up.

"Hey beautiful, are you getting dressed or are you going to walk around half naked? I don't think that's the best idea, you may have every man on this ship pledging their life to you knight or not." He says.