An Unexpected Traveler

I awake to the sound of men cheering and girls squealing downstairs in the tavern. I must have fallen asleep for longer than I should have. The sun was setting and it sounds like happy hour just kicked in. This might be a good time for a bathe while everyone is busy drinking. I take everything with me knowing I'm not going back into that room after. I tiptoe down the hall to the bathing room and lock the door behind me. It was an old rusty claw foot with scum stains inside and out. I shudder again. But there was soap at least. It was situated in the middle of the room right beside a well pump. As you pump the water it fills the tub. A great idea. I fill the tub with freezing cold water, drop the bar of soap in to sanitize it and strip. I slowly creep into it as the cold water hits all of the areas I don't want it to. It reminds me of a lot of mana shock. I recall snuggling up to Roan as I shivered the way I am right now. I would give anything to feel his warmth again. I sink into the water and start to wash as fast as I can but I am suddenly interrupted by a knock at the door and someone trying to open it.

"It's fucking occupied! Stay the hell out or I'll cut your goddamn hands off!" I yell.

Then silence. Time to get out and dress before they decide to get curious. I drain the tub and grab my towel. I dry off quickly and re-arm myself putting all my weapons back in its "proper" places.

Another knock on the door.
"Dammit woman are you done already?!"

I put my last bit of clothing on then my scarf, and open the door to see a big fat drunk man standing in front of me.

"Oh hello!" He smiles slyly.

I unsheathe my sword and hold it to his throat. "Hello!"

"Woah, woah, woah, miss I'm just here to take a bath. I mean you no harm." He raises his hands.

"Good! Carry on."
I put my sword away and push through him heading down the stairs into the tavern which is now full of drunken low lives. I walk up to the bar and throw him an extra gold coin.

"Thank you tender! Your place is...well....it needs to be burned to the ground!"

"Thank you miss." He bows. I laugh. "Can I get you a drink?"

"No I'm fine, how much farther is Khaleda from here?"

"You're going to the city are you? It's another two days ride away."

"Thank you sir."

"See you around pretty eyes!" He winks at me before I go and I flip him my middle finger.

I leave the tavern and step out into the open air. There's a slight breeze but the sky is clear and the sun is setting in the distance. I head back to my horse, he looks well rested and I check my bags to make sure everything is still there. All good. I untie him and mount up.

We ride into a large open valley with rolling hills on either side of the road. It was night fall and the moon was lighting up the field grass nicely, I can feel it's energy inside me pulsing with mana. Something I wasn't used to feeling until the book came into my hands. I pat the side of it where it sits in my pocket. Still there, although I wished sometimes it wasn't. My thoughts are interrupted by a horse's hooves pounding the dirt ahead of me. I can barely see it, but as it comes closer I see it's a beautiful tan colored horse with a man in a blue tunic with silver pauldrons in its saddle. He slows his canter to a walking pace as he approaches. The moon light has lit up his face well enough to see every detail. I slow my horse to a stop as I look at him.

He has black hair spiked at the top and pulled into a long ponytail at the back. His eyes were a deep reddish brown color which I found quite alluring. He had a perfectly chiseled face and was built just like Roan, all muscle yet he had a taller stature and held himself with a high regard. A well manicured man. He carried a long silver lance and had a white hooded cape tied to him by a large broach. There were no sigils on him which meant he was just a traveler. Although he had the appearance of a knight. As he gets closer he slows to a stop beside me.